Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:I popped 6 of my darkest eggs in the incubator last night down hear in Southern New Hampshire. Had ordered some from an Ebay member on a whim and just to give that a try for the first time but it's been 2 weeks now and the eggs are a no-show and have not heard from the seller since the 19th....think I want my money back [​IMG] Don't think I'm gonna do Ebay again for eggs
    Want to make a new rooster in time for the spring...these will be the first BCM's I have attempted to hatch and they'll come just after my birthday so I'm super excited. Gonna send my spare BCM boy to freezer camp this weekend after I do one more check on him for white feathers, I think he has that Wheaten influence I've read of on here. I love my Alpha BCM roo but he's smaller than I'd like compared to my Splash Copper roo. Looking forward to seeing what hatches but I'll probably wait until spring to buy some shipped hatching eggs now.

I've never left negative feedback on ebay and I've been there since 1999. I feel horrid having to do it but what else can I do at this point - no eggs, no money, no contact, no nothing - last I heard was that the tracking was misplaced and the postoffice was looking into the matter...I don't think they shipped Priority. Very disapppointed! [​IMG]
    So anyone with super dark eggs stand by I'll be a-knocking come Spring time [​IMG]

If youhave been on ebay as long as you say by now you should know how to file "item not received claim" file the claim and ebay will refund your money including the shipping charges.

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I have a quick question for ya'll! I am sure it is one you've heard a million times! My two BCM pullets are 19 1/2 weeks old. Am I getting close to egg time?! Or should I cool my jets and keep waiting? It has been so amazing watching these two grow and mature from the day they hatched in my 'bator (May 12th), they are such lovely ladies.

3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:Are their combs and wattles red? Are the roos chasing them? My roos are the best indicators for when a new layer is approaching. Within 2 weeks of the roos showing interest, they start laying. If you don't have a roo, watch the girls' combs and wattles, they will turn very red! At 19 1/2 weeks, you are getting close. Some here started at 17 weeks, but most started about 20 weeks. Good luck! It's so exciting to find that first eggie!! Oh, and don't be disappointed if the first few eggs are light in color. At least with my girls, it seems their little "ink jets" need to warm up a bit first, and after about 4 or 5 eggs, the color gets to where it will be. [​IMG]

4. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Hi!

I would say that you are nearing the time that the race to the coop a thousand times a day in search for that elusive dark brown egg is about to start. I would say that you should see eggs starting to come with in the next few weeks.

What do their combs and wattles look like? Do you have photos to share of these pretties? [​IMG]

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Blackbird... I ordered eggs on e-bay many times. It seems that here in New England, it takes the eggs to come longest.
    I had to get 3 sets shipped from Boston to Long Island. That's maybe 150-200 miles? Back in the heatwave in July, the first shipment was 7 days, the 2nd was 9 days, and I finally broke down and offered to pay the overnite for the 3rd batch.
    Luckily, the seller had the eggs to send. The post office didn't do anything, e-bay didn't do anything, I think I have officially given up on this. My postmaster said maybe it's the fact that they said "do not x-ray" is why they weren't put on the plane.
    So call me and let me know that. It is still a mystery, but 9 days???
    I often wonder if this is why the USPS is in the shape they are in.
    Now that I have joined BYC, I am sure eggs will be in much better shape.

6. hudsonnascarfan

hudsonnascarfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Quote:well i got my chicks as day old on may 3rd and started getting eggs 2 weeks ago on monday
    so id say any time now for yours

7. hudsonnascarfan

hudsonnascarfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    well up date on my eggs i put every egg ive gotten in my incubator from the day my dogs got my roo 4 days ago till today hopeing that i can get a roo from one of them the problem is ive got 2 barred rocks in the coop also but i said oh well hopefully i can keep them apart from the marans and grand kids say they just want eggs anyway and one of the kids says he wants drum sticks lol

8. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:I just got my first eggs this week from my 26 week old Splash marans - --

KIM - CRACKER laid her first EGGS this week. Noisey girl! She marches up and down the fence line complaining first.... Then hops up in the nest area and makes more noise. Finally, she lays her egg. She is the only one I have that does the egg song BEFORE laying [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  9. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State

KIM - CRACKER laid her first EGGS this week. Noisey girl! She marches up and down the fence line complaining first.... Then hops up in the nest area and makes more noise. Finally, she lays her egg. She is the only one I have that does the egg song BEFORE laying [​IMG]

Congratulations! [​IMG] Now stop with the suspense silly girl and tell what the egg color was like! Good, bad... what??????? [​IMG]

10. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri

[​IMG] My hen that just died did the same thing; egg song previa! Not only that, but she made everyone watch her lay her prize! [​IMG] Now that she is gone, Clyde does the egg song for his ladies...what a nuthouse! [​IMG] Oh yeah, where is the pic???

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by