Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. VillageChicken

VillageChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This is interesting. Glad to see your posts again.
    By Birchen you mean the silver hackle/saddle instead of the copper in the BC right? The unusual thing is that the technically BC and Silver Birchen are both genetically Birchen. It's just the silver gene that differentiates them (well that's the major gene). But it sounds like the Mahogany gene covers up the silver gene when a bird has only a single copy, even though the silver is supposed to be sex-linked and dominant (though not completely dominant). In most breeds, an S/s+ bird that has one copy of silver presents with a straw colored hackle /saddle.

This silver would have to hide in a hen since the silver is sex-linked, and a rooster carrying silver would create ~50% silver birchen hens when crossed to a BC hen. How interesting it would be if the Mahogany gene rendered the silver gene unable to present, and the genetically silver genes would present as regular black coppers.

I know you're not a big fan straw hackle and you most certainly would have spotted it if it popped up in your flock. A bird that has two copies of the silver gene and still has the Mahogany, would present like the Salmon Faverolles, with white/cream hackle/saddle and red/brown shoulders (just without the wheaten wing triangle).

So it's really interesting how the silver gene could hide in a flock and not present. Must be the Mh gene that darkened things up enough to hide the silver. I could see this more likely happening in a flock of Blue Coppers, since many have lighter hackle color already, though I've seen yours, and they've got the nice intense color.
  2. alaina

alaina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    North middle TN
    Yeah, we want pics!!!!!
  3. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:She didn't lay one today.... so everyone will just have to wait. She has an unusual shape to her eggs, so I will be able to identify them when I put her back in general population. Remember the weebles? Weebles wobble but they don't fall down! Her eggs have that kinda of shape.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  4. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

My partner in chickens, Vic, and I bought some TSC "Australorps" last year. I am now convinced that they are Marans or Marans crosses. The rooster showed definite copper feathers in his hackle and sickles, and the hens lay very nice, dark brown eggs. Probably around a 5-6 on the Marans color scale, even after a year of laying eggs. The rooster was killed (by a predator) earlier this year and we've raised a couple of roosters that he fathered. Both are more colorful than their sire; one appears as Black Copper and the other appears as Birchen. I'll post pics (of eggs, hens, and roosters) next time I visit the Farm.

I'm having a dickens of a time, though, introducing the idea to Vic that these birds may be Marans...

Edited for clarity.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  5. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Quote:Arielle, Sorry I missed your post. Single matings are done so we know exactly which male and female the chicks come from. With most of the Parti-color fowl single mating will cut down on the amount of culls. This wat you can breed different color combinations for males and different ones for female. By single mating in a couple of year you will have a pretty good idea of what to expect from a mating.

The main thing if you single mate you must mark all the chicks and keep records.

When setting up for a single mating, do you keep each hen separate and then rotate the rooster into that pen leaving him there for so many days and if so what is a good number of days to keep him with each hen and how many days afterwards can you collect eggs for so that you get a good fertility rate?
  6. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State

When I single mate.....I seperate the hens that I want to breed into their own coop. Before a roo is introduced, I am sure I know exactly who is laying which egg so I can mark it, knowing who lays what is must for me as I do not have tons of individual small pens. When the girls are settled and getting along, I add the rooster that I want in there and let him do his job. I usually do not have more than 4 or 5 hens in when I am single mating..too many eggs to get confused. [​IMG]
    I usually leave the roo in with those girls for a few weeks or more so that I can test more than one batch of eggs and even though the roo may be doing his thing, I wait about a week to collect eggs and I sacrifice an egg or 2 from each hen to be sure they are fertile.

Sometimes...I pull a hen or 2 after I have the eggs that I want and put in different hens to try out.

I am certain that there is more than one way to single mate and everyone works out a stradegy that works for them. Hoping more come by and share their experiences with you.

Don has some wonderful set ups at his place. He has photos and info over in the Wheaten thread.
  7. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    When single mating I will use as many as six females to each male. The male is with two different female each day. The single mating cages I use it is easy to catch the male and transfer him to another cage. I also use the cages when looking for egg color.

The males and females should be conditioned just like for a show , before mating takes place, Worming , mite control, and toenail trimming and filing. If the male has long spurs in a like cock birds they should be pop with the dog toenail popper..
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  8. Hens and Roos

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Quote:I know, I saw Don's set up when he shared pictures [​IMG] We don't have alot of extra space for individual pens either, when figuring out the breeding pens for this fall- it looks like we will need 8 different ones if all the breeds are separated for collecting eggs- this is alot of space and I am thinking we will be 2 pens short unless we use a couple of extra large dog crates for smaller groups but I don't like doing this as I like the birds to have as much space as possible especially on days that they need to stay inside do to cold weather/snow here. Otherwise we might have to set up a bigger pen in our heated garage so that our peachicks can be in that and then I would have enough floor space [​IMG] as the peachicks are taking up 2 pens right now. Of course DD's 2 breeds of chickens are needing 5 pens because she will be separating out 3 groups for the one breed and 2 groups for the other. DS(9) has 1 group and DS(6) wants to hatch eggs from his 1 breed of chickens too! And than I am taking up 1 pen with my Cuckoo Marans group. For us once we start penning up by breeder groups every group gets separated otherwise I would need more pens [​IMG] (not happening [​IMG])
  9. Hens and Roos

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI

So how much do you pop off? We have not had to do this yet.
  10. RanchoDelPolloLoco

RanchoDelPolloLoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    *Edited so not to repeat the same post in two threads but I am looking for a BCM pullet or laying hen, feel free to PM me, reply on here or point me in the right direction [​IMG] Thank you!* [​IMG] I also just found the 'Wanted' section, guess that is where I begin [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by