Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    This fella is only around 3 months old. He seems ok so far, but I'm concerned about the curve in his comb. Do you think he will outgrow this?[​IMG] I'm hoping he will fill out when the hormones kick in.

2. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    Quote:How old is your bird?

I've seen a lot of pullets and hens marked like that and my Davis girls have big combs. I don't see any coppering anywhere else, so to me it looks like a pullet.

My cockerels look way different then that even at a young age.

OK so I'm not an expert, but they are my favorites and who knows, I could be wrong.

I would say no more than 10 weeks. I have not seen any other copper. I wanted it only for eggs, do not need another rooster.

3. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    Quote:Why?

I would say due to early comb development and the amount of coppering this bird already has.

Start checking the base of his tail where it meets his back, underneath some of those feathers you'll probably find copper saddle feathers developing.

I will look this weekend. Thanks

4. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:How old is your bird?

I've seen a lot of pullets and hens marked like that and my Davis girls have big combs. I don't see any coppering anywhere else, so to me it looks like a pullet.

My cockerels look way different then that even at a young age.

OK so I'm not an expert, but they are my favorites and who knows, I could be wrong.

I would say no more than 10 weeks. I have not seen any other copper. I wanted it only for eggs, do not need another rooster.

I'm thinking cockerel as well - that's a lot of copper, comb, and wattles for a 10 week old pullet .... [​IMG]

5. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    I have a black copper marans pullet finally! She is about 3 months old!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jww6419

jww6419 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    How are Maran Hens for a backyard urban flock? Loud, egg productivity. Just trying to decide on the breed I would like to invest in for my new 4H boys backyard flock.

7. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:Egg productivity varies.... There are no absolutes with the marans.

Some folks have culled with egg production in mind, others cull with egg color in mind, others cull based on the sop for shape and color of the bird. Some are extremely broody others not broody at all.
    Just no gaurantees with the marans.

Personality - I LOVE mine, but I have heard others complain about the roos being mean and the hens being nasty to others.

If egg production is really your main focus, I would look for another breed with more consistency.

I have been very happy with my delawares personality and egg production.

8. deanawo

deanawo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Mean, really? I have one pen with 12 roos in it, no hens. They fuss some amongst themselves but not one has ever been anything but shy with us. I can pick every one of them up. They don't like it, but no pecking, scratching, or spurring. Gentle giants. In another pen I have a RIR that attacks everything and everyone that gets near him.

9. jarodw45

jarodw45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Texas
    My BCM roo is mean mean mean!

10. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Mine aren't mean, just big dummies!
    But not old enough to make decisions...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by