Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. jarodw45

jarodw45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Texas
    I love mine but I must agree with Ace... If egg production is the main goal go with a laying breed.

2. deanawo

deanawo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    About egg production - mine take forever and a day to start laying, but once they do I am getting 4-5 eggs a week per bird.

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I love my Marans, but if you are in it for the eggs, get some Welsummers. Alot easier on my brain. JMO

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    None of my black copper roos have ever been mean. I've had several blue copper Marans roos that have been mean and a few pure blue Marans roos that have been mean. However my very best behaved and smartest rooster by far is a blue copper. SOooo "no absolutes" is right Lol.

5. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

My Blue Copper roo is the sweetest roo I've ever had. Nice to me and nice to the girls - and they love him too. My BCM roo is a bit of a jerk. He likes the stealth attack, from behind. [​IMG] Catches me by surprise EVERY time. [​IMG] Not the meanest roo I've ever had but I sure don't trust him!! My Blue Copper is also MUCH better with predator alerts than my Black Copper. Curious.

6. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    I agree with the others....if you are after egg production then perhaps maybe have a couple of layers on hand that are not Marans. Not that Marans are not good layers...they are, but they do not lay like a production breeds. Welsummers are good layers, but they too can be finicky layers. I like my Delawares like Math Ace does for layers. [​IMG]

7. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    My blue copper hens are more consistant layers than the black coppers. The blues will lay about every day and the black cprs about 4 times per week when they are laying (not too hot). My worst layers by far are my pure ameraucanas. They lay pretty blue eggs but they are stingy girls. They really have a hard time with the heat here so maybe that's why. I have a 'layer' flock that has some hatchery birds in there that really pick up the slack for the others. Most hatchery birds are good layers!

8. Sarplaninec

Sarplaninec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Rock Hill, New York
    I have 3 beautiful pullets from H&H farm. Anyone else have any from them?

9. Country Chick

Country Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Gibsonia, PA
    Hello everyone!
    I would like to have some BCM chicks/pullets. Does anyone on here have any for sale or direct me to a hatchery you trust?
    Thanks!

10. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Oh my goodness! The absolute anxiety! My two BCM pullets will be 23 weeks old on the 14th of October. I keep checking for eggs all around in any places they could hide them. I've found the shavings of the nest boxes shuffled around in but empty. Waiting for the first egg is such a long wait!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by