Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. abundantwife

abundantwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Lakes Region
    Quote:My 3 girls are 25 weeks old tomorrow. I'm still waiting too ... [​IMG]

My 3 FBCM girls will be 26 weeks old this Saturday and I am still waiting. [​IMG] Their combs are getting bigger and redder ~ so maybe soon. [​IMG]

My BCM hens are 28 weeks old-- nice red combs/full bodies-- BUT STILL NO EGGS!!

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I've said it before, and here at least, it works every time! Go out and talk to the girls and tell them you want eggs! Done it three times now, and with all three, I had an egg the next day!! [​IMG] Sure can't hurt..

3. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:Mine are getting talked to this morning. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow!! [​IMG]

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I started getting eggs, but then it started getting darker, and everybody cut back...
    Then I found out I have an EGG EATER.
    I haven't seen a nice dark one in weeks!
    I think big fat Ethel is in big, fat trouble.

5. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:Oh, Bad Ethel! I'm pretty sure it was Bev Davis that told us on the other thread, that if you take an egg, blow out the insides, and fill the egg with salt and mustard. She said it breaks them of eating the eggs real quick! Worth a try. Or, maybe make a rollout nest bos for her, so when she lays it, the egg rolls out into a trough, like the commercial egg layers have. OR, soup pot for Ethel!?? [​IMG]

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Ethel is a rescue, will post later her story. It's a good one, there is always a STORY with me...[​IMG]

7. slick4591

slick4591 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Farmersville, TX
    So when do you start culling? I have 10 roos 6 to 7 weeks old and one already has copper covering at least 25% of his breast. My guess is he'll retain this even after his next molt and it's not something I want to breed on, correct?

8. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    Quote:only if he doen't have the best body of the 10. I always chose for body first than copper.

9. slick4591

slick4591 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Farmersville, TX
    I guess I was giving them time to fill out before deciding on conformation, but not sure how much they will change. At this point he seems narrow compared to some of the others.

10. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    Quote:In that case I would get rid of him. Just remeber those marans taste great even if they don't meet SOP, so eat him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by