Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. slick4591

slick4591 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Farmersville, TX
    Gotcha. Thanks! I might put a little more weight on him first. It looks like he'll have some company.

2. dkcrumly

dkcrumly Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you guys tell me what sex you think these Marans are? I know they aren't good quality birds, I'm just hoping to have some nice eggs [​IMG] Although I have a feeling I have one roo and one pullet. They are 11 weeks old.

Chick #1 (pullet?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #2 (roo?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks for your help!

kristen

3. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:At 11 weeks, a Marans roo would have A LOT more comb and wattles and they would be much redder. You have 2 girls. [​IMG]

4. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    X2!

5. alaina

alaina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    North middle TN
    I agree, 2 pullets, you can tell a big difference between a roo and pullet, I have one of each....

[​IMG]

6. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:I have 5 BCM hens and 1 BCM roo. My hens lay 2-5 large-jumbo eggs a day, I have no complaints about egg production with these girls. My roo is a big sweet heart, very respectful of me and not overly aggressive with the ladies. One of the hens is a bit mean to some other birds, but otherwise I find their temperment to be very good. I have one who will hop into my lap if given the chance, and is always pulling on my pants when I'm not looking. One is noisy when laying, and gets the rooster going with her; the others are all pretty quiet and calm.

7. pusskatkins

pusskatkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Virginia
    I think my question is best asked here since the FBCM has it's own thread, and they seem to be different then other breeds.
    If I'm wrong, please tell me and I will post it in proper forum.
    When does the FBCM hen begin laying? I hatched 11 chicks in March and have been patiently waiting for eggs. Now, it's becoming worrisome. Does this delay have to due with the molt? My god, I purchased these birds with the intention of selling eggs to the local market, along with my others.

8. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:I'm waiting along with you. [​IMG] My 3 FBCM girls hatched April 15th and their combs and wattles are just now starting to get larger and redder.

9. pusskatkins

pusskatkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Virginia
    So, this is normal?
    There's another Marans thread. Apparently, it is a new one, the adminstrator closed the old one. This wasn't closed, we were able to post. I'm confused...LOL!

10. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Quote:I'm waiting along with you. [​IMG] My 3 FBCM girls hatched April 15th and their combs and wattles are just now starting to get larger and redder.

6-8 months is the norm,, some say they have had them start laying as early as 5 months,but that is not the usual. They are not production layers, so you should not expect them to lay a lot, especially in the cold months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by