Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    No I didn't, have to go see.

My friend has a year old blue birchen we bred to my solid blue, or so she looks, but we found some copper on a chick. I also hatched out a blue birchen pullet and so far, blue birchen cockerel, he could start showinng copper, but so far so good, and he is very large for his age.

We're planning on only keeping the girls, and breed back to the father. Hopefuly we will get pure birchen & blue birchen for the fall...

Going to take a look....

Quote:

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:He's the only BCM roo I've got, so as soon as I have a broody in the spring I'll put her on the darkest eggs and hope for the best. If nothing else, I really like his size and personality. I'm not sure where the leg feathers went, he did have more, but it was still sparse. Maybe when he's done molting that will fill out some more? I may never get to showing any of my birds, but I do love the jumbo brown eggs. I still want to pay attention to the standard if I'm breeding though, since we plan to raise some to eat no culls will go to waste. I'll post some more pictures when he's feathered in a bit more around the neck.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  4. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    [​IMG]

5. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:What do you think his coloring is?

Here's a better picture of the comb from the other side.

It also shows his width.

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae297/Noymira/Chickens/Rooster4.jpg

Here is what I see, remember I am old so my miss something.

This Male has shafting all the way from head , Hackle and breast, shafting is where the center of feather is light color.

COMB, Would have a twist if it was not so over large at front.

Shank feathering is very poor and a male with this small amount should never be bred.

Eye color is off

Has lemon Hackle

Has brown spots on breast, not acceptable , If you are going to have spotted breast they should be copper.

If I were planning on breeding to the SOP I would use this male for chicken Soup, If you do not have another male, wait until you can get one before hatching a bunch of eggs.

6. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    So here are a few pictures of the brother of Nymira's Dr. Ruckus.

he is shy and most of these pictures are taken this evening at sunset so the lighting is not ideal.

His name is Frodoson

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Keara

7. Noymira

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:He's lovely! Looks like a big boy, wide too. Plus he's got all the feathering his brother is missing. Looks a lot more like the pictures I've seen of Frodo!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  8. Noymira

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:Thanks Don, I appreciate your input, although Dr. Ruckus might not! [​IMG]

I'll have to re-read all the posts and decide how I want to proceed. Everyone had something different to say, I didn't expect so many varying opinions! [​IMG]

9. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    Quote:I think you will find one opinion for each person who reads the post.

Mine is...... that Dr Ruckus will throw you big cockerels for your soup pot, and the occasional beautiful chick that has promise to breed toward the BCM SOP.

-Keara

10. Noymira

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:Probably my favorite one so far! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by