Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    [​IMG] My first dark egg(s) from my Black Coppers!!

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:I think you will find one opinion for each person who reads the post.

Mine is...... that Dr Ruckus will throw you big cockerels for your soup pot, and the occasional beautiful chick that has promise to breed toward the BCM SOP.

-Keara

[​IMG]

3. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Hey Lady!!!! [​IMG]

Right On!!!! Congrats!

So do tell....'cause I'm dying over here...is that middle one from one the Black Coppers or is it just for comparison?

How are the little Barnie and Wellie pullets doing? [​IMG]

OHHHHHH and aren't you forgetting something to go along with the egg pictures...hmmmm???????????????????????????? [​IMG] Where is the photo's of the girls all grown up?

and while I've got you here....did any of them end up with really stupid combs that have a split or extra points near the back of the blade that are poking out to either side? Not the Wellie or the Barnie, only asking about the Marans. I had some stupid carnation combs pop up this year out of some of the birds and I am trying to narrow it down. And can you refresh my memory and please tell me if you got pure Davis birds and/or did you get any babies from Bill? Pure Davis, right?

Thank you in advance. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

[​IMG] my FBCM pullets that were hatched on April 15th finally started laying this week! I have 3 girls, I know at least 2 are laying so far ~ maybe all 3 are.

[​IMG]

5. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Quote:very nice [​IMG]

6. lcatty

lcatty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Las Cruces, NM
    Quote:Thank you so much for this post! My BCMs don't pick but I had a couple EE hens that were picking the heck out of each other's tail feathers- bloody and sore. I bought some Startena and mixed it with the layer feed, about 2 parts layer to 1 part Startena- wow! Tails clean, growing back in nicely, no bald spots or blood!

I love this forum for the great advice I get here.

7. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:very nice [​IMG]

Ditto! Very Nice! [​IMG]

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Can someone help me understand . . . . I regularly hear how many roosters are over melanized. I think I have the opposite problem. I'm still learning chicken talk, so pardon my ignorance. In one of my roosters he has great coloring thru the hackles and across the back. It's the breast area that has me concerned and confused. He is so rusty in the breast area that he is rust all the way down to his legs. Just a few black feathers. Opposite from what I understand it should be.

Is he useful for breeding to the overmelanized hens? Go gently please.

9. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:I believe it is the girls that tend to be overmelanized, not the roos. I believe the suggestion is that some "copper" leakage on the chest/breast of the roo might help improve copper in the females down the road.

10. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:Overmelanized occurs in both roosters and hens. It is where they are too dark.

In hens, they will have very little or NO copper in the hackles.
    In roosters, they will lack copper color or the copper will be very very very dark in the hackle or saddle area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by