Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah, you say that now, just like I did a few months ago, and then WHAM. You're hooked like me...[​IMG] Just stand back, and observe, and have patience. It is going to take time to get this right, and we all are working on it.
    Don't be afraid to ask questions, it is all learning. Welcome to the challenging world of BCM!

2. littlels

littlels Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2011
    Quote:Being new to this, I got raked over the coals too so I emailed a friend of mine who grew up in France. Here is what he said.

"Closest pronunciation would sound like saying 'mar' and 'on'. Kind of like moron but with an 'ah' sound after the m. Also 's' is silent. There is a town in France by that name."

As far as I can figure out, some of the problem may be because when pronounced the "s" is silent and therefore people are then assuming that when spelled there is no "s". I feel better now thought knowing that I got a pronunciation lesson from someone who lived there and speaks fluent French.

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    NNNNNNICE... thanks for the free french lesson!!! [​IMG]

4. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

5. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Hi everyone! I was hoping that I could get a little input on my roo, Dr. Ruckus. I had posted picture a month or two back, but he's matured a bit since then.

I'm hoping for input on his tail, back set, chest coloring (and general coloring) and comb. I'm hoping he'll be the foundation roo for my DP flock, but I'm a bit at a loss as to what I should be watching for. He's one of Keara's boys. He also appears to be going through a mini molt, the feathers on his neck are just growing back in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a picture from a month or so ago...
    [​IMG]

Thanks! This is my first year with chickens so I'm still a newbie...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  6. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:His leg feathering appears VERY sparse. Does he have any feathering at all on his right leg?

7. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:His leg feathering appears VERY sparse. Does he have any feathering at all on his right leg?

He does, but it's about the same as his left leg. I had thought my some of my hens were a bit heavy on the feathering and he'd help balance that, but I'm not sure what amount of feathering is ideal and which side to err on (too much or too little).

Most of my hens have feathering similar to this girl.
    [​IMG]

8. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    As long as her feathers don't extend to the middle toes, her feathering is ideal! To me, anyway!! [​IMG] His are way too sparse, and the lack of feathering will lessen the feathering on the offspring.

9. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    Quote:I'll have to post some pictures of his brother, that I kept, tomorrow! The good Dr. is looking nice but very few feet feathers, maybe a tad long in the back too but he is young yet so give him time. As a reference the father roo had very heavily feathered feet. His mother was one of my two GFF girls one of which had sparse foot feathering.

10. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    Quote:I'll have to post some pictures of his brother, that I kept, tomorrow! The good Dr. is looking nice but very few feet feathers, maybe a tad long in the back too but he is young yet so give him time. As a reference the father roo had very heavily feathered feet. His mother was one of my two GFF girls one of which had sparse foot feathering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by