Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:There shouldn't be any debate over which standard we should be breeding to, now that it's been approved! [​IMG]

Now that the Standard is approved you now come under the umbrella of the APA SOP and all the pages included for all poultry for Faults and DQs, If you can not find something go to the Cutting for Defects section of the SOP and it will be there. The MCCUSA has been the sponsering Club for the Approved Marans Standard. I suggest that all read the Cutting for defect as often as you have time to familiarize yourself with the actual Faults.

I should rephrase - debate over how to interpret the standard - like what exactly is "sparse"??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

And judging from what is being shown, even the "type" is still open to wide interpretation .... [​IMG]

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    The drawing that we're currently supposed to be going by for the shape is:

[​IMG]

3. snowbird

snowbird Crowing

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:Now that the Standard is approved you now come under the umbrella of the APA SOP and all the pages included for all poultry for Faults and DQs, If you can not find something go to the Cutting for Defects section of the SOP and it will be there. The MCCUSA has been the sponsering Club for the Approved Marans Standard. I suggest that all read the Cutting for defect as often as you have time to familiarize yourself with the actual Faults.

I should rephrase - debate over how to interpret the standard - like what exactly is "sparse"??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

And judging from what is being shown, even the "type" is still open to wide interpretation .... [​IMG]

Do not want to be a pest but "sparsely" is not in the approved Marans standard. It says lightly feathered Shanks.

4. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    That whole shank feathering thing is going to drive me batty!

5. BarnGoddess01

Quote:I should rephrase - debate over how to interpret the standard - like what exactly is "sparse"??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Do not want to be a pest but "sparsely" is not in the approved Marans standard. It says lightly feathered Shanks.

I'm no further ahead with "lightly". [​IMG] (I liked the feathering on several of the birds at Crossroads. Looked very nicely "lightly" to me. But was told - needs more .... <sigh> )

6. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Okay, here's a pic from the Crossroads show - we believe THIS to be the Marans cockerel that Edgar Mongold felt had the proper amount of feathering:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  7. snowbird

snowbird Crowing

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:Do not want to be a pest but "sparsely" is not in the approved Marans standard. It says lightly feathered Shanks.

I'm no further ahead with "lightly". [​IMG] (I liked the feathering on several of the birds at Crossroads. Looked very nicely "lightly" to me. But was told - needs more .... <sigh> )

From everything I have read and been told they want it to look like the Langshan shank feathering. That is the reason for me preaching that the shank feathering is NOT an easy fix like some on the forum keep saying. To get it right will take 3-4 years , the longer folks put off correcting the shank feathering the longer it will be before they will have SOP marans. Forget all the snappy slogans like" building the barn first" . It looks good in print but will take 20-25 year to get a decent Marans. The best way is cull heavy and correct as many Faults as possible as you go along. Leave the slogans for the book writers.

Will go out now by myself and try and take some shank feathering,

8. BarnGoddess01

Quote:How did I miss the correctly feathered bird? [​IMG] Leave it to me. Not to be a pain but can we get the picture any bigger?

9. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Don, it's not a "snappy slogan" - it's been said by many, many, many old-time breeders. It simply means to get your type right first before worrying about details. You've said it yourself, my friend...

10. snowbird

snowbird Crowing

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:If I did say something like that it is not what I think. I believe in working with as many faults and problem as I can at the same time. I will have to check what I post in the future as I do not believe that statement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by