Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:Quite often, a rooster will have red feet because he is fertile and its an indication of that. Maybe he has something else, like bumblefoot. He would have a big lump onthe sole of his foot.

My BCM must be EXTREMELY fertile these days. His feet are beet red!! [​IMG] (And he isn't lame either. He's giving the ladies a pretty good run for their money .... [​IMG] )

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Quote:Quite often, a rooster will have red feet because he is fertile and its an indication of that. Maybe he has something else, like bumblefoot. He would have a big lump onthe sole of his foot.

I'll look at the soles of his feet agian. When I looked last week nothing looked odd. But I'll look again.Thanks.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Barngoddess:

My marans have matured much faster then the hens and are on the job at any and every opportunity with the older hens since they were about 3months old! But they don't have red feet. Sorry.

Just this one boy seems to have a problem, so I'm a bit worried about him. If anyone has another idea to suggest . . .

4. wilmothfarms

wilmothfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    I have a question. I have been told by a few people on these threads (this one too and in PM) that the proper spelling for Maran was with NO "S" at the end *PERIOD* . The reading and research I've done ALL state that the proper spelling is MaranS WITH the "S". (WOW so much controversy over this breed in the smallest of details even I have found!) Anyway, I was told this about the no "S" at the end and in fact I even got blasted rudely by a breeder for spelling it Marans, so I assumed this was true considering how rudely he/she attacked me about it.

I was on a chicken group site and told someone that same info that I had been given, and now a person is blasting me about THAT! Its like when your new to something, have questions and you make a mistake, want to improve your birds, people would rather be mean and snobby rather than help you.!!!! I just need help - so I dont give out ANY false information, or keep false information in my head! I want to be knowledgeable about my birds and my Maran(with or without the S) that I would like to breed.

I have 10 8 week old chicks I really want some input on as they grow and lurking here and other places I am afraid I can already see some I need to cull out of the breeding pool. I hope to get some pics posted here for critique this weekend. Oh and I dont mind critique - bring it on! LOL I just want proper information! I couldnt believe how conflicting JUST THEIR NAME IS! I was shocked when after calling them MaranS for so long being told that was wrong, then being told Maran is wrong. OH JEEEEZ! WHATS RIGHT? So gonna breed a bird and dont know the proper spelling! LOL. Ok laugh but then my comment in that group sparked the BIGGEST drama fest over their name - SO apparently this is NOT something that only I am in question about. I'm just starting and I have YEARS of learning the standard and the breed, whats right whats not, and to perfect before I will even consider myself a breeder of my favorite bird, but I better get off on the right foot, stop lurking and start asking questions again, and not let that one mean attack over their name keep me quiet cause now its gotten me even more - confused and feeling stupid! SO HELP MY FELLOW MARAN(S) LOVERS! [​IMG]

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, always with the S.

6. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    wilmothfarms [​IMG] point me at em [​IMG] (grrrrr)

With an (s) [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  7. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:You were obviously treated badly by someone who REALLY didn't know what they were talking about. Marans always has an s at the end. Now that the Black Coppers have been accepted by the APA and admitted to the SOP (Standard of Perfection), everyone, including you, will be able to get the correct information about them. You have DEFINITELY come to the right place now. There is often debate here about what standard we should be breeding to but the one thing we can all agree on, there IS and s at end of Marans!!

Welcome, and have fun!!

PS. "Marans" is the name of a town in France, where the breed originated.

8. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Marans Marans Marans [​IMG]

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:You were obviously treated badly by someone who REALLY didn't know what they were talking about. Marans always has an s at the end. Now that the Black Coppers have been accepted by the APA and admitted to the SOP (Standard of Perfection), everyone, including you, will be able to get the correct information about them. You have DEFINITELY come to the right place now. There is often debate here about what standard we should be breeding to but the one thing we can all agree on, there IS and s at end of Marans!!

Welcome, and have fun!!

There shouldn't be any debate over which standard we should be breeding to, now that it's been approved! [​IMG]

10. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country

Welcome, and have fun!!

There shouldn't be any debate over which standard we should be breeding to, now that it's been approved! [​IMG]

Now that the Standard is approved you now come under the umbrella of the APA SOP and all the pages included for all poultry for Faults and DQs, If you can not find something go to the Cutting for Defects section of the SOP and it will be there. The MCCUSA has been the sponsering Club for the Approved Marans Standard. I suggest that all read the Cutting for defect as often as you have time to familiarize yourself with the actual Faults.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by