Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Worth keeping? 12 weeks old

Pullet nicely feathered legs
    [​IMG]

Cockerel

[​IMG]

both of them crowing

[​IMG]

2. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    Quote:I really like the size of these birds for 12 weeks! Good width on them, a bit on the dark side color wise but very useable. I do not know if it might be your camera or the lighting, but double check those leggs on the hen, they look a tad greenish.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  3. rsarns

Apr 25, 2011
    Just went back and looked, must have been the lighting in the coop... her legs are fine.

4. Keara

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    Quote:good, they are nice looking birds. I'd keep them and take more pictures when they are 6+ months old.

5. rsarns

Apr 25, 2011
    Thanks, they came from a breeder on here and hatched out of really nice dark eggs. I am looking to expand the BCM flock this coming year. So far I have (unfortuantely) hatched only 1 pullet, and 2 cockerels from the 1st batch. Then a cuckoo cockerel out of what were supposed to be blue/splash eggs, and I did get 1 pullet which is a blue/splash, and a wheaten pullet out of another couple of eggs. I have another what I suspect to be a cockerel BCM that is 4 weeks old. I have a gorgeous wheaten cockerel which is 20 weeks old also. Now all I need are 4-5 pullets of each to go with them.... I will probably only be keeping 2 BCM cockerels after they reach 5-6 months, and picking the best 2 of the 3.

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hi everyone,

One of my roosters is still limping with reddish feet. Has a remedy been found? Only 1 of 4 roosters affected; no hens affected.

If this has already been discussed, can you direct me to the location. THanks.

7. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Quote:Have you posted a picture of him? How about trying to soak his feet with Epsom salt? If you already posted about him can you tell us the post # so much information gets shared on the threads it's hard to keep track [​IMG]

8. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Quote:Quite often, a rooster will have red feet because he is fertile and its an indication of that. Maybe he has something else, like bumblefoot. He would have a big lump onthe sole of his foot.

9. deanawo

deanawo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    The first pretty sunny day I am off I would love help choosing which roos to keep and which to eat...I have 14 and can't seem to choose.

10. Keara

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    Quote:post some pictures and the help will come. [​IMG] I love eating those BCM roos, and make chicken soup stock too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by