Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:HEY! CONGRATS!!!!! And huge hugs - [​IMG]

Sorry for the person that got you so rattled. Goodness gracious!

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks, all. Without your help, I couldn't have done it.
    And I sold 3 roos at the show also.
    It's much quieter outside, maybe he just needed a little more time to grow up.
    Woo Hoo!

3. upthecreek

upthecreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    A Big Congrats To YOU !!!!! i feel bad for You about the ignorance shown by this other person but it just shows there's a few fools everywhere but (thanks to the Lord) most chicken people are Very Good People !!!!

Best To You and Yours

Quote:

4. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:Mine laid right around 20 weeks, but it seems that was earlier than usual. I've been getting good large/jumbo eggs from mine, 2-5 a day from 5 hens. I'm not sure yet how they'll do this winter, since this is my first with chickens, but we'll see. I'd love some broodies in the spring for chicks!

If nothing else you could raise the BCM's to eat and focus on the other breeds you've been working with for dual purpose. Hopefully next year will go better for you, I'd be happy to give you some eggs at any point if you want some of Dr. Ruckus' offspring.

5. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    Quote:Thanks for the offer, we'll see what happens.

6. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:Keara, try to keep an eye on who is laying what. . . .

I found out with four of my original flock - TWO of the girls were doing ALL the work. The other two either NEVER laid or RARELY ( like once a week) laid.
    From those two main layers, I started doing hatching and the off spring are laying nicely.

WATCH and see if all are crappy layers or if 1/2 are really good and half are really crappy. . . . [​IMG]

7. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    Quote:right now I only have 3 who are old enough to lay, and one is raising chicks, one was laying but I think she might hiding eggs now, and the other lays nice round speckled eggs 5 days a week. I have 5 others I expect to start laying any time from now til spring (well winter is just around the corner and they don't like laying durring the short days and I don't give artificial light so I have to give them til spring). The nice thing so far about my BCMs has been the variation in egg shape and color. I can tell who lays what easily. I need to cut back on chicken numbers before a big 2 week vacation in spring, so all slackers will be put in the freezer soon!

Math- nice to hear from you [​IMG] , hope all is well in FL?
    -Keara

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  8. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:Everything is well! I keep watching but I haven't caught either of your girls on the nest yet....

9. slick4591

slick4591 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Farmersville, TX
    I have an eight week old pullet whose shank feathering is sparse and does not grow on the toe. Will this pullet be any good for breeding to SOP or should she go to the layers pen.

10. chicken-whisperer

chicken-whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Vista San Diego County
    I have just breed hens with one toe feathers and now have a roo with a middle toe feather [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by