Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:I'm no further ahead with "lightly". [​IMG] (I liked the feathering on several of the birds at Crossroads. Looked very nicely "lightly" to me. But was told - needs more .... <sigh> )

From everything I have read and been told they want it to look like the Langshan shank feathering. That is the reason for me preaching that the shank feathering is NOT an easy fix like some on the forum keep saying. To get it right will take 3-4 years , the longer folks put off correcting the shank feathering the longer it will be before they will have SOP marans. Forget all the snappy slogans like" building the barn first" . It looks good in print but will take 20-25 year to get a decent Marans. The best way is cull heavy and correct as many Faults as possible as you go along. Leave the slogans for the book writers.

Will go out now by myself and try and take some shank feathering,

I don't disagree about correcting as many faults as possible. However, the sad reality for many of us is that we simply don't have enough stock to cull as heavily as we maybe should so we HAVE to pick our battles.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It means simply that type is the most important. Some folks work well on several things at once, I'm sure that YOU are one of them with your many years of breeding experience. For me, I choose to work with only one or two at a time, as I just don't have the experience that others do. So long as you are moving in the right direction, I don't believe there is a "wrong" and "right" in which things you address first. JMO!

3. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Songster

Jun 14, 2011
    Hello everyone,
    I just purchased these Marans. Please tell me what you think? I would like to keep true to breed and would like to know your thoughts on these. I just got them yesterday so the trip has been hard on them and I feel that they need to gain a bit more weight. They are 4 months old. I didnt know that roos crowed at that age, but he is crowing good.
    Thanks in advance
    Rita

This is my roo Todd
    [​IMG]

The hens I havent named yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. snowbird

snowbird Crowing

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:Wynette, I have always respected a persons right to do whatever they wanted with their own fowl. My way might not be the way to go with others, been doing it my way for to long now to change.

Will have a new breed or two or three next weekend.

The reason I have not showed in the past five year is because I basically raise chickens for my own enjoyment and peace of mind. I have also been knowned to breed the type fowl I like and not worry about what someone else like for them to look.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Understood, Don! I know you don't like the smiles, but..... [​IMG] (sorry!)

You are getting a few new breeds? Do share! Brahmas again, is my guess!

6. snowbird

snowbird Crowing

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:What I see that I do not like is the male will eventually have a Squirrel tail , if he is related to the female I would not breed these together. Will say that the pullets have some nice coloring going on already.

7. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Songster

Jun 14, 2011
    Thanks Don,
    They are not related that is one thing I made sure of. What is a squirrel tail? Can I get it out or should I just get another roo and hope its not got it? As for the colors I just really cant believe how florescent the colors are on all of them. They are so beautiful to me.
    Thanks again
    Rita

8. snowbird

snowbird Crowing

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:I would cull this male as he has a sprig on left side comb on front side.

9. wilmothfarms

wilmothfarms Songster

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    I couldnt quote you all who replied in one little post (or at least I dont know how to at one time LOL) so I will make another post.

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH for clarifying that for me! I can breathe a sigh and I stand feeling stupid for listening to information I felt in the beginning was wrong, but when you think someone knows best
    cause they breed a bird and you dont, oh well heck just shame on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where can you get the printed form for the standards and such? Will they mail it to you?

ANYWAY - I am thankful for your replies, all of them!!!!! I AM going to post pictures of my little ones - Do you think at 8 weeks old you can begin to see defects already? I have some that have heavy feathering on them legs!!!!!! I mean I'm thinking they can give my Brahmas a run for their money! I'm not sure how they will grow out tho, my other Maran she is so lightly feathered and I dont recall that changing from chick-hood to chicken-hood! ( [​IMG] ha ha I crack myself up) But I just dont know - if it doesnt change - ARGH - this will be a major defect not just a little I assume, and grounds for culling. Which is really really crappy! I was hoping to get our of my hatch at least one good BC and one good BLUE to start with. (I may keep a blue just cause they are pretty and keep him with my permanent flock)

10. wilmothfarms

wilmothfarms Songster

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    Quote:I was sent the blue eggs from the breeder because her BC was laying so sparsely. I'm not intending on breeding the blues tho - just clarifying. But I would like a nice one that at least "looks" right! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by