Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I am new to marans, but why are the feathers on the middle toes such a flaw?

The newly approved APA (American Poultry Association) breed Standard for Marans calls for "outer toes, lightly feathered, middle toes, free from feathers". That is how the folks establishing the breed in the US have determined the birds should be.

I am new to marans, but why are the feathers on the middle toes such a flaw?

Feathering on the middle toe is not a DQ as I understand it, rather it is a fault. Many lines still have it and good breeding practices includes reducing the frequency.

I'm putting a clean- middle- toe rooster over my feathered- middle- toed hens. I'm working with what I have to increase the number of birds lacking the middle toe feathering. The FBCM are a work in progress.

Quote:

Yes, Arielle, I believe you are right. Clean legs/toes are a DQ. Extra foot feathers are just a fault.

I'm putting a clean legged boy with girls that have feathers on their middle toes. We will be able to compare notes!!
big_smile.png

Quote:

Yes, Arielle, I believe you are right. Clean legs/toes are a DQ. Extra foot feathers are just a fault.

I'm putting a clean legged boy with girls that have feathers on their middle toes. We will be able to compare notes!!
big_smile.png

For once I was happy to see boys resulting from a hatching project so I could look at their toes!!
gig.gif

here's my first BCM roo (that I would like to show come January); however, I'm thinking his tail might be too high. Thoughts? The second image is a little fuzzy 'cause I had to crop and enlarge (I've got the original pic on my phone, but he just wouldn't let me get close to him). He really is a nice looking bird (in my still learning opinion), but please, please correct me if I'm wrong. My feelings won't be hurt. I'm in this to show and not just because they are pretty :)

It looks like he doesn't have feathers on his shanks, it is a DQ. His tail is not overly high, IMO.
here's my first BCM roo (that I would like to show come January); however, I'm thinking his tail might be too high. Thoughts? The second image is a little fuzzy 'cause I had to crop and enlarge (I've got the original pic on my phone, but he just wouldn't let me get close to him). He really is a nice looking bird (in my still learning opinion), but please, please correct me if I'm wrong. My feelings won't be hurt. I'm in this to show and not just because they are pretty :)

Back
Top Bottom