Black Copper Marans discussion thread

?????????????? Can you Breed Weaton Marans with Black or is this a no no for i keep looking but cant find a for sure answer if you do what do you get out of them.
If all you want is "pet quality" dark egg layers, yes. If you want Marans that conform to standard i believe it would not be an acceptable cross. Maybe someone can help with the "what do you get out of them" part of your question. I would assume a non-standard, non-accepted colour. I posted this question once before and I was told there was no good reason to make this cross.

Anyone else???

?????????????? Can you Breed Weaton Marans with Black or is this a no no for i keep looking but cant find a for sure answer if you do what do you get out of them.
You get mixed up colors. It causes a lot of problems. It has been done by mistake in the past and several lines are dealing with it now much to their dismay.

------------------------

The others are right, this is a really bad idea for several color genetics historical reasons.
But more than that, what made the idea pop into yur head? Are you looking for something specific colorwise? They the only Marans you own? Or? Perhaps if we can help you solve that conundrum, you will find a good answer without resorting to Wheaten(eWh) ex Black Copper (ER) cross.

Best Regards,
Karen in western PA

------------------------

The others are right, this is a really bad idea for several color genetics historical reasons.
But more than that, what made the idea pop into yur head? Are you looking for something specific colorwise? They the only Marans you own? Or? Perhaps if we can help you solve that conundrum, you will find a good answer without resorting to Wheaten(eWh) ex Black Copper (ER) cross.

Best Regards,
Karen in western PA
I think Karen has some good points here. If she is your only hen and want good egg layers, then breed her. Otherwise, perhaps locate a wheaten rooster, or trade with someone.

Yes she is the only Weaton I have for know with no Roster just like my Blue they came from eggs that i bought. If im correct you can cross the blue with the black. so wasnt for sure if the weaton came from a black i just got more weatons chcicks from another batch of black copper eggs this is why i got thinking of letting my french black to cross with my weaton

I am keeping my FBCM separate from the blues at this time. Partly because trying to come up with a good black is hard enough with out complicating the situation with blues.

I just found this and am interested in BCMs. I have heard that they come clean legged and with feathers on their legs. What ones are the true BCMs? I have not had a chance yet to go through all 489 pages yet and hope someone can help me. I have always liked them and a friend of mine hatched some out and gave me two as a gift. Any assistance would be much appreciated.
smile.png

Yes she is the only Weaton I have for know with no Roster just like my Blue they came from eggs that i bought. If im correct you can cross the blue with the black. so wasnt for sure if the weaton came from a black i just got more weatons chcicks from another batch of black copper eggs this is why i got thinking of letting my french black to cross with my weaton
Are you sure your Black rooster is a Black Copper and not a Wheaten roo?? A lot of people confused the two, hence the Wheaten sports pop up with supposed Black Copper breedings. The roo in your avatar, tends to show the lighter hackle coloring which may indicate a "Wheaten influence", like a cross, or he may be a Wheaten, hard to see in the pic. Can you post a pic of your rooster? Does he have a brown (cinnamon) wing triangle?

Back
Top Bottom