Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Will say in the long run it is cheaper to buy adult fowl to start with as you can see what you are getting. I would suggest Two Pair or better Two Trio. With this amount you can start a linebreeding program after the first year.

Will say in the long run it is cheaper to buy adult fowl to start with as you can see what you are getting. I would suggest Two Pair or better Two Trio. With this amount you can start a linebreeding program after the first year.

MUCH easier said than done. It isn't easy convincing someone with ONE worthy Marans to sell it, let alone a pair, or, heaven forbid, a trio.

MUCH easier said than done. It isn't easy convincing someone with ONE worthy Marans to sell it, let alone a pair, or, heaven forbid, a trio.
Barb, I hpe you are not saying that all the Marans people that sell eggs will not sell you a pair or trio of Marans. I have never this to be true in any breed of fowl.

Now I realize you being in Canada does make a difference. I have sold many fowl to canada. Talk to some of the Canadian breeders on how they bring fowl back into Canada. Will send you a PM later explaining how it works.

And Wolverine Country is ... where? We have them here but I don't think you are in my neighborhood :) I have a few boys here and three girls. I bought at about 20 weeks forward. I didn't even plan to breed Marans, just fell in love with the two I had. Then I got reading... voila, BCM fan.

Thanks for the advice. I need to get a notebook to keep just for chicken info. I figure if I start with a few from different lines that are 'ot too bad' and keep my flock closed then I might be alright but I am new so what the heck right?

And Wolverine Country is ... where? We have them here but I don't think you are in my neighborhood :) I have a few boys here and three girls. I bought at about 20 weeks forward. I didn't even plan to breed Marans, just fell in love with the two I had. Then I got reading... voila, BCM fan.

Thanks for the advice. I need to get a notebook to keep just for chicken info. I figure if I start with a few from different lines that are 'ot too bad' and keep my flock closed then I might be alright but I am new so what the heck right?
Michigan

Hey Don,

Saw that wheaten hen of Randy's over on the other thread! Talk about a nice tail set, eh?! I don't have them quite that nice yet, but am making progress. So many I see seem to be pretty pinched (the birchens definitely have that problem).

Hey Don,

Saw that wheaten hen of Randy's over on the other thread! Talk about a nice tail set, eh?! I don't have them quite that nice yet, but am making progress. So many I see seem to be pretty pinched (the birchens definitely have that problem).
Vicki, once we see some of the wide and open tail Marans it changes the whole outlook for the breeding pens doesn't it. We know where it mostly comes from and it is mostly from the wide and full lenght back females. that female of Randy's will make a great breeder bird. Randy has sure come a long way with the Wheaten Marans.

When you have time why not post some pictures and lets see what you have to work with.

Vicki, once we see some of the wide and open tail Marans it changes the whole outlook for the breeding pens doesn't it. We know where it mostly comes from and it is mostly from the wide and full lenght back females. that female of Randy's will make a great breeder bird. Randy has sure come a long way with the Wheaten Marans.
No kidding. I really am looking forward to this next breeding season and what improvements come about from the specific matings. I've got an album on FB going with my stock choices for next year. I still have plenty of photos to get, but it does help to have them all where I can see them readily

Will say in the long run it is cheaper to buy adult fowl to start with as you can see what you are getting.
frow.gif
frow.gif
frow.gif

It is SLOWER, way SLOWER, to start with eggs. However, there is a large amount of learning that occurs when you raise the chicks yourself.
If you have a really good hatch and produce enough chicks to compare each other to, you will quickly learn how to identify the good traits from bad traits.
I think buying a Mature Trio is GREAT as long as you know what to look for. Otherwise, you will just end up buying junk.

Back
Top Bottom