Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Quick question! I have 2 blue/black copper marans chicks. They're about 3 weeks old, and one is feathering in with what looks like blue down on the chest while the other still has the cream down on the chest. Since I'm a total rookie with marans, i'm guessing I have one black and one blue? or is this just the beginning of them feathering in and it's all going to completely change 4x in the next few months.
lol.png
If blue feathers are growing in, then you have a blue! Yeah! I suppose it could be a splash, if you don't yet have enough feathers to see if the blue is even. But, you never get blue feathers on a regular black. As to morphing, yes, they will keep morphing on you. I panicked when my lovely babies grew in a few white wing feathers. I have been told that this is normal, and they might still have some white in their juvenile feathers too. I shouldn't worry, until they have their adult feathers. So, someone correct me if I am wrong.. But I think they get little chick feathers, juvenile feathers, then adult feathers.

Splash chicks should not be yellow at hatch. Splash chicks should be a nice clean white-ish color, but it is not a pure white, a slight silvery-ish blue-ish hue is in there as well. It's hard to explain, hope you can see it in the photo. ;)

Last edited:
Quick question! I have 2 blue/black copper marans chicks. They're about 3 weeks old, and one is feathering in with what looks like blue down on the chest while the other still has the cream down on the chest. Since I'm a total rookie with marans, i'm guessing I have one black and one blue? or is this just the beginning of them feathering in and it's all going to completely change 4x in the next few months.
lol.png
Blue can come in many different shades, from light to dark. Here are some examples of different colored Blue Copper chicks. chick 1
chick 2
chick 3
Edited to add a photo of a Black Copper chick for comparison.

Last edited:
Maybe yellow is not the correct word, more like a cream color, but not bright white. I don't try to get splash, so I'm not hatching a lot of them, but they are cream colored..Cute chicks, Pink!
Splash chicks should not be yellow at hatch. Splash chicks should be a nice clean white-ish color.

Back
Top Bottom