Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Quote: Hi Tim,
So that's what happened. (see bold type above) I have been trying for years to figure out why those Golden Salmon chicks (day old shipped and from bought eggs) I was raising back then came out so discolored when the chick down looked correct,. (tho some were darker hued than I
thought they should be). Thank you, thank you for the explanation!
Best,
Karen
now working with Light Sussex

Last edited:
My bad. I just noticed that you listed their age a few pages back. I have birds the same age as this. I assumed the ones that I have that look similar to the one you call "Copper" are males. It doesn't look like Penny's comb is much smaller. Perhaps it is a cockerel, too. Didn't you say there was copper color coming in on the wings of one of them? Is it a mossiness in the feathers, or actual copper feathers? I have one bird that has one copper feather. LOL

Yet another one of those famous "can you sex my chick" posts.
lol.png

Hope everyone doesn't mind taking a look at my little ones. They turned 5 weeks old approx. Wednesday. I have one obvious cockerel - he has a little bit of a funny spot at the back of his comb. I don't know if he was pecked and injured before I got him or if he was born like that. I got 3 of these chicks from one breeder and 3 from a different breeder. Chicks #1, 4, and 5: I question if they are full-blooded Marans chicks. The woman I got them from brought her glass of booze out with her to the coop and stumbled out of her shoe several times. Now, I'm not saying that means she doesn't know how to breed chicks, but she told me that she crossed two BCM's and yet she had 2 blue chicks (that is not possible, right???). So... my son just HAD to have one of these blue chicks and the other one had poufy feathers on its head like a Silky, so I wouldn't let him get that one. I suspect her chickens were jumping the fence doing the hibbidy-dibbidy with one another and since they looked like Marans when they hatched - that is how she sold them. I'd like to get your opinions on whether or not you think they are mutts or not. Again, it's chicks 1, 4, and 5. Chick 5 actually has some yellowish color to the toes. Chick 4 seems to be so fluffy on the butt compared to all the other chicks - maybe I just notice it more because it is lighter; its comb is a tad pink, but stumped on its gender. Chick 3 is a mottled/mossy little thing, but if it's a SHE I will just keep it as a layer. I would like to get into breeding at some point, but first I've got to find some good stock. I think my best option right now is chick #6. LOVE the feathering on the feet on that one. We call him/her "Cooper" because of the eyeliner that reminded us of the musician Alice Cooper. We thought he was a boy at first, but now is looking more like a pullet. I could be wrong... I am not good at this! I hope you are. I am thinking of going back to get more chicks (from the more reliable breeder) this weekend and might ask him for a cockerel if I've got mostly pullets here. I think the cockerel I have here (#1) will end up in the stew pot for the wonky comb issue. All these chicks seem so smart compared to the other breeds I have. They are calm and friendly. I am loving them already and I think I am beginning to turn into a "Crazy Chicken Lady." (minus the glass of booze and stumbling - that other lady has got me beat!) I'd appreciate all your thoughts on my birds, as I am new at this. THANKS!

Im not really sure i its true copper color in penny or not could someone post a pick of one of there chicks getting copper color or moss. ??

Yet another one of those famous "can you sex my chick" posts.
lol.png
Hope everyone doesn't mind taking a look at my little ones. They turned 5 weeks old approx. Wednesday. I have one obvious cockerel - he has a little bit of a funny spot at the back of his comb. I don't know if he was pecked and injured before I got him or if he was born like that. I got 3 of these chicks from one breeder and 3 from a different breeder. Chicks #1, 4, and 5: I question if they are full-blooded Marans chicks. The woman I got them from brought her glass of booze out with her to the coop and stumbled out of her shoe several times. Now, I'm not saying that means she doesn't know how to breed chicks, but she told me that she crossed two BCM's and yet she had 2 blue chicks (that is not possible, right???). So... my son just HAD to have one of these blue chicks and the other one had poufy feathers on its head like a Silky, so I wouldn't let him get that one. I suspect her chickens were jumping the fence doing the hibbidy-dibbidy with one another and since they looked like Marans when they hatched - that is how she sold them. I'd like to get your opinions on whether or not you think they are mutts or not. Again, it's chicks 1, 4, and 5. Chick 5 actually has some yellowish color to the toes. Chick 4 seems to be so fluffy on the butt compared to all the other chicks - maybe I just notice it more because it is lighter; its comb is a tad pink, but stumped on its gender. Chick 3 is a mottled/mossy little thing, but if it's a SHE I will just keep it as a layer. I would like to get into breeding at some point, but first I've got to find some good stock. I think my best option right now is chick #6. LOVE the feathering on the feet on that one. We call him/her "Cooper" because of the eyeliner that reminded us of the musician Alice Cooper. We thought he was a boy at first, but now is looking more like a pullet. I could be wrong... I am not good at this! I hope you are. I am thinking of going back to get more chicks (from the more reliable breeder) this weekend and might ask him for a cockerel if I've got mostly pullets here. I think the cockerel I have here (#1) will end up in the stew pot for the wonky comb issue. All these chicks seem so smart compared to the other breeds I have. They are calm and friendly. I am loving them already and I think I am beginning to turn into a "Crazy Chicken Lady." (minus the glass of booze and stumbling - that other lady has got me beat!) I'd appreciate all your thoughts on my birds, as I am new at this. THANKS!
This cracked me up! I know I'm not the only one who 'wines' with my chooks, but I rarely fall out of my shoes. I think number one is a K other than that, time will tell. Some cockerels will hold back on their secondary sex characteristics when there is a dominant male present, then once the Alpha is gone....the comb and wattles enlarge, crowing, saddle feathers, ect. Also, breeding birds that you are not 100% positive of their background can lead to frustration in the future IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom