Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Chickin pickin- what a sweet looking boy. I'll take a stab at him although I am by no means an expert. His comb looks a little funny at the back- can't really tell what's going on with it. I would expect at his age to see more copper coming in- he may end up being over-melanized? His eyes look almost black, it should be a bright orangy-red. Again this may be caused by over-melanization. Leg feathering is decent- it would be nice if it were more uniform instead of having a break at the top and a street-sweeper at the bottom. I like his size and width in the overhead view. Do you have others to select from or is this your only choice?

Ok i looked it up lol its the brown tint in the wings right? Im glad u said it happens in pullets alot i was afride it was certain it was a boy too

not just the wings. I have seen it all over. it is not really like the copper roos get. you remember when you were a kid and took a toothbrush full of paint and ran you finger across it to spray paint....looks more like that. if you are seeing real copper on the wings it is a roo. I have had roos that got color pretty early but usually in the hackles. most roos hide the colors for a couple of months at least.

I have a huge, beautiful boy that I thought had too much color way too soon (he's 8 weeks). But that color is copper on his wings/back. This could be ok then? I hope, I hope!!!!
fl.gif

two questions

heritage Black Copper Marans - can they be raised in colder climates? such as ontario? i am over lake ontario and it's probably equal to central michigan.

second. where can i find some to buy? i'd like about 16 hens and 1 rooster (i would be fine with raising some younger ones but in that case i'd have to build an incubator (which i plan on building anyways, but would need to read-up before getting them which would delay my actually having chickens!)
Not sure if anyone has replied to this question yet (if so, sorry), but you might contact Barngoddess01 on here (Barb). She's in your neck of the woods.

The color on the one i hope is a pullet but on the fence about is just on its wings so for and its like a brownish color and its just here and there on them

Hello from Georgia, I'm Chad I really love Marans and would like to get some Black Copper Eggs to Hatch out. Right now I have 2 Cuckoo Marans both are 19 weeks old and pretty as can be. One is a hen the other a Roo. They will act just like pets i never thought that out of a chicken. Anyway I would like to get some good eggs from somebody i know shipping is a risk i have to take. Please let me know if someone on here sales eggs. Thanks

I have a huge, beautiful boy that I thought had too much color way too soon (he's 8 weeks).  But that color is copper on his wings/back.  This could be ok then?  I hope, I hope!!!!  :fl

i don't know that you can have TOO MUCH color in those areas. too much color is when it is the wrong places like the breast.

Looking for honest input. all the birds are 4 months old, only one pullet has shank feathers. the roo with the white lobes, is a penny cross.

These are NOT pure marans!

Males don't have floppy combs (DQ)
None should have yellow legs (DQ)
The legs should have feathers on them (DQ)

And the backs, per the SOP, should be

BACK: Wide at the shoulders, long, flat, slightly tilted to the rear

Their stance and size indicate something more gamey. Marans are big and STOUT birds. When they come running towards you, they are big momma birds.. nothing flighty or dainty about them!

Last edited:
Ridgeline hens... You said 4 months old.

These are some photos of my 17 week old males.. Look at the flat back... BIG head on a BIG neck

Here is another one of my 17 week old males... Look at the width of his chest.

Sorry, I don't have any pics of my females in this age group....
I don't normally start concentrating on culling my females until after I get the male numbers down.
I start looking hard at the males at 14 weeks and hopefully have them thinned by 20 weeks.
This is when the hormones kick in and they don't play nice with each other.

Back
Top Bottom