Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Lurker alert!

hide.gif

Last edited:
I agree with most of what's been said on these two males. Each has issues and nice things about them, I guess if they were mine, I'd try them both, IF the first male is not roachbacked. I'm thinking it may just be the camera angle on that. The first male's wing carriage is actually too high; however, he may have just ruffeld himself up just priot to pic - not sure there. I actually like his head better than the second male's. The shank color is too light on the first male, but too dark on the second. The topline is nicer on the 2nd male, but he's hatched chested; he's young and it may fill in, but at this age, he should have much more breast on him. Color balance on both is nice. The underline is better on the first male. I can definitely see why you're having trouble making a choice if you need to choose between these two! BEST of luck, and keep up the good work!
Thank you for commenting Wynette! I haven't had time to really look at that first cockerel again, but will be off a couple of days and will observe closely on his back. It may just be the pic: I don't think he is standing square and he is alerted to the dog that is right outside the pen. What's funny is there is about 8 weeks difference in age between these and the first one is the younger but he has more chest. I will be watching that develop too.

I do still have around 10 more cockerels, all from Feb, March hatches, growing out. But like I said most of them have off hackle color, look pinched in the tail or even at 10-12 weeks their tails are looking really long and squirrely But I'm waiting a bit to go through them, there might be somebody hiding out there that just hasn't caught my eye yet

I do really like the color on these. If none of the younger ones beat out these two then I may do some test hatches this fall and see what happens

Now if I could just get pullets that have enough copper .... a couple of the ones I've got are solid black. ;=(

I have a question regarding a comb. I bought two BCMs from a local, and they gave me an extra. I'm pretty sure two are cockerels, but both of their combs are different shapes. One looks like a pea comb, but I wanted to post a picture to make sure I was right. The local I bought them from also breeds OEs, so I'm thinking he may be an OE cockerel that just so happens to look like a Maran (aside from the comb, obviously). He has feathered shanks too.

This is the pullet.

This is the cockerel

This is the one in question

How old are they? Depending on the age they all remind kind of remind me of pullets and I think both the bottom 2 are not pure BCM.

None of them have beards, and I'm not sure how old they are. I bought them about three weeks ago, and I don't know how old they were when I bought them. They are about the same age as my 11 week old Barred Rock, if that helps.

Here are a few more pictures of them. I won't lie, I was kind of hoping for cockerels. STRANGE! I know! LOL
bun.gif
But who really gets upset when they get pullets instead? I don't know.
They are very possessive of Duchess. I'm not sure what she is...

I have a question regarding a comb. I bought two BCMs from a local, and they gave me an extra. I'm pretty sure two are cockerels, but both of their combs are different shapes. One looks like a pea comb, but I wanted to post a picture to make sure I was right. The local I bought them from also breeds OEs, so I'm thinking he may be an OE cockerel that just so happens to look like a Maran (aside from the comb, obviously). He has feathered shanks too.

This is the pullet.

This is the cockerel

#3 is OE I'd say, from those puffy cheeks. #1 is wrong angle for me to tell if he's got the OE puffs also.

This is the pullet.

This is the cockerel

I think you have a roo and pullet too. I don't think either are Marans.... probably a cross. Nothing really looks like a marans too me. The roo has muffs and may have a beard it sometimes gets picked by other birds.

Back
Top Bottom