Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Melanizers ( like melanotic or charcoal) do not effect the leg color. Black leg color is due to the E locus allele carried by the bird. Most black birds are extended black; extended black adds black to the feathers and the shanks and feet of the bird. The black coppers carry the birchen allele and should not have black shanks and feet. Birds that have black shanks and feet carry the extended black allele.

Some birchen ( genes not variety) lines also carry genes that make the leg color very dark. Other birchen lines( once again genes not variety) can have white legs.

Your bird either carries extended black or carries a gene that is adding black to the shanks. There are genes that can lighten the leg color on birds but they should not be found in BC marans.

Tim

Last edited:
Just for clarification I was using the word melaniser as a descriptive word...not be be confused with melanizer..there is a difference.

Just for clarification I was using the word melaniser as a descriptive word...not be be confused with melanizer..there is a difference.

I've learned something new today. I did not know this. Thank you!
smile.png

Melanizers ( like melanotic or charcoal) do not effect the leg color. Black leg color is due to the E locus allele carried by the bird. Most black birds are extended black; extended black adds black to the feathers and the shanks and feet of the bird. The black coppers carry the birchen allele and should not have black shanks and feet. Birds that have black shanks and feet carry the extended black allele.

Some birchen ( genes not variety) lines also carry genes that make the leg color very dark. Other birchen lines( once again genes not variety) can have white legs.

Your bird either carries extended black or carries a gene that is adding black to the shanks. There are genes that can lighten the leg color on birds but they should not be found in BC marans.

Tim
Tim ~ Forgive my ignorance here, but I believe I read somewhere, that Cuckoo birds were from extended black? If I am wrong in this, which I wouldn't doubt, then ignore it. I don't do Cuckoos. But if they are from extended black, why do they have white/pink shanks?

geebs, can you explain the differences? I always just thought it was a matter of spelling!

I'm thinking "melanizer" is a term used to describe specific genes that enhance black whereas melanise is an verb the describes the general act of making things black. Both mean basically the same thing but there IS a difference. I hope geebs will correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm thinking "melanizer" is a term used to describe specific genes that enhance black whereas melanise is an verb the describes the general act of making things black. Both mean basically the same thing but there IS a difference. I hope geebs will correct me if I'm wrong!
So, if I wanted to "melanise" my flock, I would use a bird with a "melanizer" gene? Gotcha, thanks!

Tim ~ Forgive my ignorance here, but I believe I read somewhere, that Cuckoo birds were from extended black? If I am wrong in this, which I wouldn't doubt, then ignore it. I don't do Cuckoos. But if they are from extended black, why do they have white/pink shanks?

No ignorance, that is a good question. The sex linked barring gene that makes the barring pattern removes the black from the shanks. One barring does ok in females but males can have two barring genes- that is why they have the pink/white shanks. They also have white skin therefore white shanks and feet. If they had yellow skin, they would have yellow shanks. Females can have swarthy shanks in some breeds and that is because they carry one barring gene, which does not clean up the black as well as two barring genes.

Barngoddess01,

You are correct. The literature (research manuscripts) refer to certain genes as melanizers. You can add black to a white bird by rubbing it in the soot- soot would be a melaniser.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom