Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Same as other inquiry. You really wont b able to tell til they are about 4 wks. Pullets shouldn't have any copper on them but around the hackle (neck) my experience any copper shows on head or in wings end up cockeral. Pullets can show mossyness which would be more of a sponging type look on the lace of the feathers. That should molt out with juve molt. Biggest definer will b that comb pinking up. Most of the cockerals I've had also had much heavier shank (leg) feathering.

So you don't think the "tail" and the feathering is saying much right now??
Here's 2 pics from today of the 3 I think could be roo's ... just so you see how similar they all are. Would a pullet have a tail looking like this at 3 weeks?

I can see some copper on the wing feathers so they're probably cockerals?

I know how crazy it makes ya to have to play the waiting game!! But you just have to have patience with this breed. I know it's not what you would want to hear but it's just too early to tell just yet. They change so quick but when it starts there's no question! Post more pics in a week or two if you can, good facial shots if you're still unsure and see how they've progressed. So jealous though. Of my latest babies only 2 of the 9 were roos, RIP my big boy, now I only have one!

So you don't think the "tail" and the feathering is saying much right now?? Here's 2 pics from today of the 3 I think could be roo's ... just so you see how similar they all are. Would a pullet have a tail looking like this at 3 weeks?
Tail feathering didn't mean squat with mine. I still drive myself crazy analyzing all sorts of features thinking there's a common something, somewhere that I will figure out surely, that no one else has, but there just isn't! So I wait! lol! Stance, always stretching that little neck up high, being more assertive over the others, but nope! They get me every time!

Tail feathering didn't mean squat with mine. I still drive myself crazy analyzing all sorts of features thinking there's a common something, somewhere that I will figure out surely, that no one else has, but there just isn't! So I wait! lol! Stance, always stretching that little neck up high, being more assertive over the others, but nope! They get me every time!

OH Geez!!! I thought FOR SURE with 3 looking 1 way and 2 looking the other it was kind of a no brainer .......well there is still no question about Zebra.....He's just a given. His wattles have even started to get a little pink and he has a much larger comb than everyone!

OH Geez!!! I thought FOR SURE with 3 looking 1 way and 2 looking the other it was kind of a no brainer .......well there is still no question about Zebra.....He's just a given. His wattles have even started to get a little pink and he has a much larger comb than everyone!

Yep those are good signs! I still have some 4 month pullets with pale combs! They don't usually start changing to pink/red til then.

uh oh...what's your settings on the incubator been for days 1-18 and for lockdown days 19 to 21?

40-42 % for 1-18 and 60-65 % for 19-whenever we give up on the Marans lol. We have great hatch rates for all our other breeds. It's JUST the Marans. Out of around 100 other eggs we have 10 not hatched. And then all the Marans.

40-42 % for 1-18 and 60-65 % for 19-whenever we give up on the Marans lol. We have great hatch rates for all our other breeds. It's JUST the Marans. Out of around 100 other eggs we have 10 not hatched. And then all the Marans.
I would recommend on the first 18 days running your humidity a bit lower. Here I run mine between 25 and 35 for the first 18 days and will adjust accordingly based on the humidity outside as well. The main issue with marans is getting the fluid to asborb at the correct rate to keep the chicks from drowning. Some peopel will also use a bit of sandpaper on the end where the air cell is to aid the evaporation. It took me a few hatches to get it down, but lower humidity at the first few days will help. I also usually let the humidity during lockdown sit at about 55 and as the chicks start to hatch, they will bump it up as high as 72% just from all the popping out of the shell. I can also usually tell when a hatch is just about over when the humidity returns back down to 55 or so. Its a good indicator as well of the chicks being dry

Back
Top Bottom