Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Here are some more pics

Just another opinion for you. Negatives: this male is overmelanised, tail angle is too high. Also, color balance is nto optimal (hackles should be the same shade as saddles), but it's not "bad" just not optimal. Positives: His topline is perfect. Long and correct - absolutely perfect - angle. I really, really like it! I see way too many males that are so short-backed. This male is nicely balanced, topline to underline. I am not fond of his balance, front to back. However, he's young and that could most definitely change. Overall I really like this guy, and he would pair well with a female that has a tad too much color. (For me, the tail angle would be a deal breaker, but he has enough good attributes that I'd try to breed it down.) However...if that's a Black Copper female standing next to him in the last pic...please do not use her. The breast of the female should be solid black. This female, if a BCM, has WAY too much color.

Last comment, as always, I am no expert and these are only my personal opinions. And, it's difficult to give solid feedback based on pictures, as well.

Quote: I agree with Wynette. His chest to me needs to drop but that might come with age. I would not use him for breeding until he is older than a year, to see how he matures. The tail angle doesn't bother me so much, for me that is correctable. Also, his head is small, with the recent talk on the Marans group about wide & big heads being better, His seems too small to me. JMHO.

Last edited:
If I owned this male I would not have a problem with using him as a breeder. I believe the chest is fine with the size of the bird. I think he has a nice shape Comb. Unless the SOP has been changed it says he should have a medium size head. Does look like his soft feathering might be a little brown tinted.

If a person wanted to get rid of the blended hackle you would need to use a little more of the Mahogany color.

Last edited:
Quote: I agree with Wynette. His chest to me needs to drop but that might come with age. I would not use him for breeding until he is older than a year, to see how he matures. The tail angle doesn't bother me so much, for me that is correctable. Also, his head is small, with the recent talk on the Marans group about wide & big heads being better, His seems too small to me. JMHO.

Good to know about the tail angle because the guy I am using is too upright in my opinion but not any worse than this guy. I also thought his head looked small. But like Wynette, I like him. Just picking nits. (I would also like to see more spread on that tail as he matures.)

Good to know about the tail angle because the guy I am using is too upright in my opinion but not any worse than this guy. I also thought his head looked small. But like Wynette, I like him. Just picking nits. (I would also like to see more spread on that tail as he matures.)
He has his positives that's for sure. Wouldn't it be wonderful if someone had a "perfect" bird? sigh...

Thank you all!!!! I saw a lot of comments about the large chest, does it Make a difference that this was at the end of the day, and his crop was FULL? Also, that hen isn't a BLCM, she is a black sex link. lol. I won't be using her! How should I pair him to get his tail to lower a bit? Also, he won't be a year till august, so he is still really young, I planned on breeding him next spring. I have three pullets for him to start my breeding flock, but the are still young, so I have yet to see their full potential. Any more advice? Thanks for all the help!!!

Thank you all!!!! I saw a lot of comments about the large chest, does it Make a difference that this was at the end of the day, and his crop was FULL? Also, that hen isn't a BLCM, she is a black sex link. lol. I won't be using her! How should I pair him to get his tail to lower a bit? Also, he won't be a year till august, so he is still really young, I planned on breeding him next spring. I have three pullets for him to start my breeding flock, but the are still young, so I have yet to see their full potential. Any more advice? Thanks for all the help!!!
Only breed him to hens who have lower tails. The comment about his chest was that he should develop a lower fuller chest, not that it was too big. Males will "drop their chest" as they get older, or should. Hope he does.

Only breed him to hens who have lower tails. The comment about his chest was that he should develop a lower fuller chest, not that it was too big. Males will "drop their chest" as they get older, or should. Hope he does.

Ok, thank you =) Also, is it ok if I post some black copper marans chicks I have? They are supposed to be pullets, but one is iffy, and I need to know, since I'm about to sell my extra chicks.

Edit to say, is his head too small, or is it ok? Should I breed him to a pullet with a larger head??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom