Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I have a few 4-6 week old BCM cockerels that have almost blond feathers on their necks where the copper should be. I had written them off as "wrong", but now I'm noticing the older one has beautiful copper feather pin feathers coming in underneath on his neck.

Is it possible he may end up with correct coloring after all?

Here's Duke my roo. I think he's ugly, what do you guys think? Won't be buying anymore from this breeder, lucky for this roo, we keep these guys as egg layers and if he's nice to my kids he'll get to stick around. I won't be offended by your critique, that's why I posted =)

He is almost 10 weeks old.

In his defense, that age is kind of an ugly-duckling stage. He'll probably look much nicer and "rooster-ish" in the coming weeks.

As a complete beginning in what to look for, I can only tell you that the color on his chest shouldn't be there. They do change a lot, and you may be surprised how he fills out.

I'm looking forward to what others have to say about him.

Here's Duke my roo. I think he's ugly, what do you guys think? Won't be buying anymore from this breeder, lucky for this roo, we keep these guys as egg layers and if he's nice to my kids he'll get to stick around. I won't be offended by your critique, that's why I posted =)

He is almost 10 weeks old.
He's in the ugly stage, have yet to see a pretty chicken at this time. He not show quality, that's for sure. He shouldn't have the orange on his chest, but for body shape, he's too young to tell.

I have a few 4-6 week old BCM cockerels that have almost blond feathers on their necks where the copper should be. I had written them off as "wrong", but now I'm noticing the older one has beautiful copper feather pin feathers coming in underneath on his neck.

Is it possible he may end up with correct coloring after all?

I have a 2 year old hen whose hackle was too blonde in her first adult feathering. I can't tell her hackle apart from the others now, it's nice reddish copper color. I don't know why it changed so much... maybe it has something to do with hormone levels when the feathers are developing, or maybe even stress.

Roger

If anyone is in SC this guy is free to a good home the roo not my pullet :) his shanks are so featherd he can walk across water ;)

Last edited:
I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but here goes: I have a FBCM that is broody. All of her eggs are from my layer flock, which includes other FBCM. My flock protector rooster is a Lavender Orpington. Her hatch began yesterday, and this morning I noticed that one of the FBCM chicks has feathered legs! Does this happen with a mixed copper marans chick?? I was definitely not expecting that.

Thanks for your input.

I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but here goes: I have a FBCM that is broody. All of her eggs are from my layer flock, which includes other FBCM. My flock protector rooster is a Lavender Orpington. Her hatch began yesterday, and this morning I noticed that one of the FBCM chicks has feathered legs! Does this happen with a mixed copper marans chick?? I was definitely not expecting that.

Thanks for your input.

French black copper marans are supposed to have feathered legs, it's part of the french standard. The feathered leg gene is dominate, so the chicks should have feathered legs, just not as much of it.

Back
Top Bottom