Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Mathace, I have heard that vetrx is a good product to use for oiling legs/combs foe shows. I am considering entering a few of this years pullets/cockerals in our local PNPA show. Entries due the end of Sept., show is Oct.20th. Trying to learn all I can beforehand. Been to a few show to observe but never entered before.

I'm not mathace (I don't think she's able to show), but I've been told by a few judges that they don't prefer folks use VetRX for this purpose; some find the smell a bit strong and offensive. Which has always seemed odd to me, as I think it smells nice! The judges I've spoken with have all said to just use baby oil.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'll add my thoughts, judges also don't like to get greasy so if you notice, the day of the show, owners go around & wipe off most of the oils, vasoline, etc. so they just feel soft & clean, not like a greased pig! LOL

Letting them set overnight does the trick to get them clean & soft.

Quote: Since I am one of the Oldtimers here will give you what I have used for a good many years with good luck. I use Vaseline most of the time and clean up with a cotton wash cloth that is dry. I have used a little Olive oil on the comb if it does not have good color and it will darken up real quick, here also dry with a cotton cloth. The toe nails and beak should be trimmed and filed before in your condition part.

ok so update on my two fbcm they now almost fully feathered copper (the name where using to tell them apart) started showing copper on his/her wings about a week and a half ago now he/she has copper around the neck as well, penny on the other hand was still all black till a day or two ago now she/he has a copper ring forming around her neck just there no where else . so based on what ive said what do u guys think sex wise ?????

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this looks like a hen or a roo. I bought 2 Marans as 4 month old pullets but I'm thinking this may be a roo. I'm a new chicken owner and simply have them for eggs and fun. But I can't have roos where I live.

Also, here's a link to a video of my (hopefully all) hens.

Thanks!

Since I am one of the Oldtimers here will give you what I have used for a good many years with good luck. I use Vaseline most of the time and clean up with a cotton wash cloth that is dry. I have used a little Olive oil on the comb if it does not have good color and it will darken up real quick, here also dry with a cotton cloth. The toe nails and beak should be trimmed and filed before in your condition part.

Thank-you all for the advise! Looking for all I can get!

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this looks like a hen or a roo. I bought 2 Marans as 4 month old pullets but I'm thinking this may be a roo. I'm a new chicken owner and simply have them for eggs and fun. But I can't have roos where I live. Also, here's a link to a video of my (hopefully all) hens.
Thanks!
Cool video. Sorry, your Marans is a cockerel.
ok so update on my two fbcm they now almost fully feathered copper (the name where using to tell them apart) started showing copper on his/her wings about a week and a half ago now he/she has copper around the neck as well, penny on the other hand was still all black till a day or two ago now she/he has a copper ring forming around her neck just there no where else . so based on what ive said what do u guys think sex wise ?????
Hard to tell without pics. Descriptions sound like one male one female.

Back
Top Bottom