Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Hi, I am very new to BCM, just got 4 of them 6.5 weeks ago and LOVE them. I am not a breeder or using them for show, they are our pets and we just wanted something a little different in the coop this year. This is also our first year with unsexed chicks. I have read a lot on this thread and learned so much but am still a little confused about sexing my BCM. I have heard the combs in males grow quickly but that girls can also get them early. ???? As we can not have roosters in our town could someone help me know what I have. I can't tell with any of the feathers yet but the combs are very different on our chicks. The one ducking his head looks just like the one with the large comb. I would hate to get rid of one that was a pullet and accidentally keep a rooster.
What do I have??????? Two girls, two boys??????

Any help is warmly welcomed!!!!!!!!!!
The guy in the middle is 100% cockerel. Do the girls have feathered legs? That is a DQ if they don't..... if you are showing.

All have feathered legs to varying degrees. The one I most think is a girl has some white tips to some feathers, not for showing just for eggs and pets. Soooo, the chick to the right may also be a rooster? when will I know for sure, will the comb come in later? So far I have sexed my other chicks based on tail feathers and saddle, neck feathers. They were 9 weeks old and easy to tell.
Thanks for the help!!!!

All have feathered legs to varying degrees. The one I most think is a girl has some white tips to some feathers, not for showing just for eggs and pets. Soooo, the chick to the right may also be a rooster? when will I know for sure, will the comb come in later? So far I have sexed my other chicks based on tail feathers and saddle, neck feathers. They were 9 weeks old and easy to tell.
Thanks for the help!!!!

IMO, in the top photo, I believe far L+R juveniles are cockerels.

The two juvies in the center I believe are pullets at this point- unless the top juvie (in center) can be a younger cockerel? Don't hold me to this- I am still learning the signs too.
smile.png

As I understand it, white feathers on youngsters are disregarded until the juveniles are about 6 months old- after their juvenile molt and adult feathers are well in. White feathers will even show up on males even at 1 1/2 years old.

Thanks!!!!
We will never show our birds but I love knowing all about them. Will wait to see if the white feathers leave.
All chicks in photo were hatched on same day so hopefully the two in the middle are pullets.

Last edited:
I just got this "girl" on Sunday. Its my first one of this breed. She is supposedly a she but her comb is much redder than my 14 weeks pullets of other breeds I did read that this breed usually has redder ones. She is also supposedly only 9 weeks and is easily bigger than my 14 weekers. Is this normal? Does she look like a she? She is purely for enjoyment as an addition to a back yard flock. No shows or anything in her future....

It has the body of a pullet and fairly small comb. I think combs turn red because of the heat. It's one way of cooling their bodies.
See to me her comb is huge! LOL Its bigger than the ones on my 14 week olds. As I said though I am new to this breed though so I am learning. I love her though. She is a sweetie! If heat affects color that could explain it as I live outside of Houston and its been 85+ here for weeks already.

I just got this "girl" on Sunday. Its my first one of this breed. She is supposedly a she but her comb is much redder than my 14 weeks pullets of other breeds I did read that this breed usually has redder ones. She is also supposedly only 9 weeks and is easily bigger than my 14 weekers. Is this normal? Does she look like a she? She is purely for enjoyment as an addition to a back yard flock. No shows or anything in her future....

I see pullet.

Marans roosters, at least from the ones I raise show themselves very early with very large combs and wattles. I can usually pick out my males from the females at about 2-3weeks of age.

Back
Top Bottom