Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I have a Wheaten Maran rooster and last spring I bred him to Black Copper hens. The offspring ranged from solid black to black copper to wheaten. These are a couple of the hens that were produced by that cross.

My question is can the hen in the first photo be honestly called a Black Copper Maran?
If this cross produced wheatens the first cross... you BCM carry wheaten.... should not be breeding them as BCM. The wheaten is probably really a wheaten. The blacks from that cross carry wheaten too...... This kinda of cross causes lots of problems in marans. The crosses that are black are sold a Coppers and they are not they are crosses and should never be used in Coppers. I don't that much about Wheatens..... might be an ok cross for wheatens and might improve egg color but they have not place in Copper Breeding.

I have a Wheaten Maran rooster and last spring I bred him to Black Copper hens. The offspring ranged from solid black to black copper to wheaten. These are a couple of the hens that were produced by that cross.

My question is can the hen in the first photo be honestly called a Black Copper Maran?
A Wheaten Marans Cock crossed with BCM Hens will produce a cross whether they look like a pure BCM or not. No, you could not honestly call the hen in question a BCM, she is not.

I use a blue wheaten am rooster over some blue marans to make olive eggers, often they come out looking like your top picture.

I am also trying to produce Olive Eggers, but I have a Wheaten roo with two EE hens. The reason that I asked what to call these hens is, they are all Marans just different colors, so would mixed color Marans be approrpriate?

I am also trying to produce Olive Eggers, but I have a Wheaten roo with two EE hens. The reason that I asked what to call these hens is, they are all Marans just different colors, so would mixed color Marans be approrpriate?

I think if you did that the buyers would tend to just call them Marans and it could lead to problems for other people if they sold them later... I would probably just call them a Marans mix and not specify the parents are both pure Marans but different color varieties, or just call them dark egg layers (if that's what they are).

A Wheaten Marans Cock crossed with BCM Hens will produce a cross whether they look like a pure BCM or not. No, you could not honestly call the hen in question a BCM, she is not.
Just like my black sexlink pullets (BCM over Barred Rock hens) often "look like" BCM with feathering and coppering and all...but they are CROSSBREDS and would never be sold as BCM.

"Mixed layers" would be as far as I'd go. If you say Marans someone is going to think they can breed them, which wouldn't work out so well for them or for you (even if you give a pedigree of the mixed varieties of Marans that made them, people "forget" or the birds end up somewhere else and all they hear is Marans because that's what they want to hear. So, black bird with color on the hackles must be a BCM, right? This is the type of logic people use, and may come back at you later which would be unfortunate since you're trying to be clear that they are not purely one variety or another.

I don't breed Marans to sell. I breed for myself, and I am working on egg colors. One way you get Olive Eggers is by crossing a Maran roo with a Easter Egger hen. These eggs will be green.

since you work on egg colors, can I ask if they will produce olive eggs on the first cross?
I have a chick who hatched from a green egg, has muffs and a beard (EE) and I know for certain her daddy was a lavender copper marans. So I'm really hoping she lays me an olive egg in a few months :)

BTW, is lavender the correct color? Or should it be blue?

Back
Top Bottom