Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I have not separated them yet. The Greenfire are a bit older and have just started laying. I only have 3 LP hens and one rooster. I will hopefully get them their own pen in the next few weeks and then I will repost. I also have a small group from Heaven Sent out of her LP line. So far honestly the Greenfire are my favorites, although the LP rooster I think will have better structure. Eggs will tell the tale. So it will be another month or so until I get them all laying.

HAHA---only one hen of seven so far is laying, and just her first few eggs. The first two were not very dark, then the third jumped way up about two shades darker....but I don't like to judge on pullet eggs and these are just one hen.... I will post final results when they all are laying.....
fl.gif
PS: these are tiny size eggs still - not even smalls yet.

Last edited:
HAHA---only one hen of seven so far is laying, and just her first few eggs. The first two were not very dark, then the third jumped way up about two shades darker....but I don't like to judge on pullet eggs and these are just one hen.... I will post final results when they all are laying.....
fl.gif
PS: these are tiny size eggs still - not even smalls yet.

This makes me feel a little better. I have 4 pullets from a straight run batch I bought this year, and 4 hens that I bought later. The hens eggs are beautiful, and more uniform in color, but the pullet eggs look just like these; some lighter, some darker, and speckled. Is this typical for young layers? When will the grow into the more adult sized eggs? This season, or after the first molt? What it looks like to me is a paint booth that is not fully operational yet
fl.gif

It takes about a month for the eggs to get to a good size, by which time the color should be good too, but with some it might already start to fade out... They will probably be a bit larger in the second year of lay, and of course after every molt the color "resets" .

Back
Top Bottom