Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Hello! I just hatched some BCM's (100% if I'm allowed to brag! ;-)) but one of them came out this color, can anyone tell me why? I'm new to BCM and genetics. Thank you.

[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
I have a couple of chicks from 2 sources... below is I believe a dark brama/SLW, although she looks like a golden wyandotte, The dad I got as a mystery chick, I was told the man who hatched him was also hatching BCM and as a chick he looked BCM, when he got older, he looked more Bramah-y.

This chick below I believe is a GLW I got the egg from a road side farm.

I also have a white BCM who's parent's were both pure, and black.

Last edited:
My two hens are laying. I need to find a few more birds that aren't related to mine. I want to get some that lay darker than these..And one of my roos has a white feather in his tail, so he's going to have to go.
Just wanted to share a couple pics :)

My two hens are laying. I need to find a few more birds that aren't related to mine. And one of my roos has a white feather in his tail, so he's going to have to go.
Just wanted to share a couple pics :)

I let my son collect the eggs today and he left the lid up on the nest box and my young black copper Marans Cockrel flex up on the box and the lid came down and broke his neck. I'm crushed he was beautiful and I had culled down to a trio and this took 7 months. Now just got the two pullets. Back to the drawing board.

I decided to put these in incubator... I went back and forth on it and put them in and out of the fridge... what ever hatches hatches...but I currently don't have an active rooster and my other boys are not confident yet. At this stage these eggs since they are not chicks, are not messy or stinky.... and the BCM carton is full of eggs I cannot even candle, so less obsession. top carton left to right tan bantam buff cochin, 3 mint green blue isbar eggs, 2 white WCBP, lower carton top left row... 2 cockoo marans, one BCM/blue isbar mix, 2 olive eggs, one gray egg, bottom row 3 BCM eggs, one BCM/blue isbar egg, one gray egg and one olive egg.
I don't think I would try to incubate anything that's been in the frig

I have a couple of chicks from 2 sources... below is I believe a dark brama/SLW, although she looks like a golden wyandotte, The dad I got as a mystery chick, I was told the man who hatched him was also hatching BCM and as a chick he looked BCM, when he got older, he looked more Bramah-y. This chick below I believe is a GLW I got the egg from a road side farm. I also have a white BCM who's parent's were both pure, and black.
Do you know why the BCM chick came out like that?? I have the same thing

Back
Top Bottom