Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Thanks for the info! How long did it take to get the results back?

I've got 4 reeeally expensive chicks that I'm terrified are all boys. They've got very yellow/orange combs, and all my other girls have had the darker, shorter combs. They're a different line, though, and your picture gives me a little hope. The combs haven't seemed to change all the much in the last week, whereas my homebred boys the same age have obviouslysprouted male combs. The sooner I know, the sooner I can figure out an angle to tell my hubby when he finds out how much they cost, lol.

It took 8 days for results
1f600.png
From what I remember reading on the website, they can determine sex and relation.

It took 8 days for results
1f600.png
From what I remember reading on the website, they can determine sex and relation.

Oh. that's awesome! That's a wonderful idea for breeders who want to make sure they aren't inbreeding too much! I want to start a breeding program but I was concerned about buying and breeding birds from different sources that might have the same origination flock, that company's relation test would be a great way to insure I don't do that! Thank you for sharing.

Okay so something very exciting (I hope) just happened. When I purchased my marans back in 2015 I was told that they were out of the same stock as the white mutant or white marans. They were purchased from ebay from survivalseedsower and were from Herritage MO. Well I just hatched some eggs and I have hatched a white (silvery right now) chick! Feathers on its legs. No mistaking its breeding (at least on my side) the marans are in their own pen and have been for months so I know this chick is out of a BCM roo amd hen. I'll post some photos once it fluffs up. Does anyone have any more info on the mutant whites??

Last edited:
Here are some photos from this morning. Now that its dry it looks more silver with yellow splotches? Again I know that this chick came from a black copper marans roo and a black copper marans hen. Nothing else has been in with them.

Oh. that's awesome! That's a wonderful idea for breeders who want to make sure they aren't inbreeding too much! I want to start a breeding program but I was concerned about buying and breeding birds from different sources that might have the same origination flock, that company's relation test would be a great way to insure I don't do that! Thank you for sharing.

Inbreeding is actually a useful thing. The less variables (random genes) and the more sure fire ones (smaller gene pool = stronger genetics) are exactly what you'll want.

Inbreeding is actually a useful thing. The less variables (random genes) and the more sure fire ones (smaller gene pool = stronger genetics) are exactly what you'll want.

But inbreeding too much can cause genetic problems, and lead to the fatality of a breed altogether. I understand the purpose of inbreeding to retain certain traits, but I'd prefer not to CONSTANTLY inbreed my birds. Genetic diversity is important, even if it leads to some birds being faulted (we just eat those one's).

Back
Top Bottom