Black Copper Marans Egg Color From Rural King?

Starbawk

Songster
5 Years
Mar 28, 2017
So I have a hand-me-down BCM roo from an unknown egg shade that I got from someone who got him from rural king. I also have the opportunity for a BCM young roo from a known egg color (see pic) but it's not particularly dark. This one is from a breeder originally who registers her birds (she sold this guy hatching eggs, didn't hatch him herself). Does anyone have experience with BCM from Rural King and what shade of egg they typically throw? I don't know a better indicator of the color a roo will pass on other than the shell he hatched from and obviously I'm trying to hedge bets in favor of darkest brown.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1628511940838.jpg
    FB_IMG_1628511940838.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 27
I feel like any hatchery BCM is a toss up for egg color. Mine came from Meyer Hatchery and I was very satisfied with the egg color, although they aren't breeding specifically for the darkest egg color. The color lightens throughout the laying season as well, so by this time of year they won't be so dark anyways. I can't speak for Rural King quality specifically though, although *typically* breeders have a stronger focus on egg color than hatcheries.

Well the hatchery guy is also a damned terror in terms of aggression so that's another point for the younger breeder one.

Well the hatchery guy is also a damned terror in terms of aggression so that's another point for the younger breeder one.
My hatchery roo was a complete and total nightmare. So much so that while I've cried putting down chickens and developed the adrenaline shakes after, I botched his dead brutally and still had no adrenaline rush! And I feel guilt-free to this day lol. The two I'm choosing between to keep were sired by him but raised by a broody so I am hoping they are better adjusted than he was.

Back
Top Bottom