mamabones

Hatching
Nov 21, 2023
Hello!

This spring I purchased what I thought were 7 olive eggers, 3 mystic maran, 3 brahma and 2 americuanas.

What I've ended up with are 2 black copper marans, 1 of which is a rooster, and 8 french black marans. However, the black copper maran hen is laying a sage colored egg and the french black marans are laying olive colored eggs of varying shades, not the typical dark brown to chocolate. So I am assuming they are a mix of some sort.

I'm wondering if any of y'all have experienced receiving mixed marans and what the resulting color was for you. The only hen with obvious maran genetics is the one I assume is a black copper maran - she has copper feathers around her neck. All the others have typical black feathers with an almost green shine to them.

The photo below shows a great example of the assortment I'm getting from them.

1. eggs
2. french black marans ?
3. 1 brahma, 1 americauna and 1 copper maran (zoom in to see copper color around neck)
4. black copper maran rooster

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    658.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_8050.jpeg
    IMG_8050.jpeg
    789.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_8053.jpeg
    IMG_8053.jpeg
    744.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_8054.jpeg
    IMG_8054.jpeg
    754.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
None of those birds pictures are Marans, they all have pea combs where as Marans have single. What you have are "olive eggers" which are most likely Marans crossed with a blue layer such as Ameraucana due to the beards on some.

Your order was filled correctly, and that little roo is an olive egger at its finest!

What made you think your order wasn’t what it was supposed to be? I would think when you seen the eggs it was valid that the order was spot on! Chicken genetics are so fascinating!!!!:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom