BBS Genetics Question for Crossbreed

Country Birds

Chirping
Aug 7, 2022
Southern Idaho
I just recently hatched out my first chicks from my own flock and I got some that were a different color than I expected. I have a Splash Ameraucana rooster (he’s my only rooster) and I hatched out three chicks from my Black Copper Marans eggs (I only have one Marans hen) in order to get some Olive Eggers. By my understanding, all of the chicks from these eggs should be blue, right? However, of the three, I got one that looks blue and the other two look black. Am I wrong in assuming the BBS works across breeds? Or are these two chicks actually blue, they just look black compared to the other? I just want to get a better understanding of what is going on here.

All 3 together:
IMG_1363.jpeg

The Blue Chick:
IMG_1372.jpeg
IMG_6657.jpeg

The “black” chick:
IMG_6658.jpeg

IMG_6661.jpeg

No, BBS should work the same across breeds even with cross breeds. Splash to black can only produce blue dilution. So either the darker chicks are a dark blue. Or your hen is not black but actually a dark blue. Sometimes blue can be so dark that it looks black. The big tell, for me, is that blue won't have the same iridescence as black.

No, BBS should work the same across breeds even with cross breeds. Splash to black can only produce blue dilution. So either the darker chicks are a dark blue. Or your hen is not black but actually a dark blue. Sometimes blue can be so dark that it looks black. The big tell, for me, is that blue won't have the same iridescence as black.
The hen is definitely black with a green iridescence. I have Blue Ameraucanas and they are a noticeably different color than her.

I agree that you have blue and dark blue chicks. These are 3 chicks I hatched in December. 1 splash and 2 blue. One is more obviously blue than the other.
2023.12.27 01 chickes 01 Glisten Tinsel and Vermonty.jpg

And this is Miyagi. I thought she was black for about the first month of her life! She's still pretty dark- she looks lighter in this photo due to the sunshine. But she is blue (w/ red leakage).
2024.03.17 01 chickens 01 Miyagi.jpg

Back
Top Bottom