Blue Fibro genetic anomalies?

gamjduke

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2024
I’ll get pics tomorrow, but I crossed a Splash Isbar cock with Svart Hona hens (black), and the resulting chicks appear to be a mix of blue black and splash. I was expecting only Blues to result based on basic BBS genetics where Splash x black results in 100% blue offspring.

Any ideas why? Does crossing breeds invalidate normal BBS results?

I was expecting some variation, but not this much.

Any ideas why? Does crossing breeds invalidate normal BBS results?
No, crossing breeds should not change the usual black/blue/splash results.

I’ll get pics tomorrow, but I crossed a Splash Isbar cock with Svart Hona hens (black), and the resulting chicks appear to be a mix of blue black and splash. I was expecting only Blues to result based on basic BBS genetics where Splash x black results in 100% blue offspring.
That is what I would expect as well. I'll wait for the photos before I speculate any further.

yesterday a lot of them looked black. Today they mostly look blue and splash to me with a few that are dark enough to possibly be black. In my dreams maybe it’s just 2 different colors and it’s sex-linked… but I’m doubtful that this is the case.

IMG_5606.jpeg
IMG_5604.jpeg

yesterday a lot of them looked black. Today they mostly look blue and splash to me with a few that are dark enough to possibly be black. In my dreams maybe it’s just 2 different colors and it’s sex-linked… but I’m doubtful that this is the case.

View attachment 3751275View attachment 3751279
Blues can be lighter or darker, so maybe you just have a bunch of different shades of blue?

It will probably be more clear as they grow some feathers, so maybe within a few weeks the answer will be obvious.

If they grow up to have completely white feathers, then recessive white is the explanation. That seems unlikely, because it would not appear in the chicks unless both parents carried the gene (and that seems VERY unlikely, given what you said of their breeds.) If both parents do carry recessive white, I would expect about 1/4 of chicks to show it. They would grow up to have completely white feathers, but could hatch with grayish chick down. White Jersey Giants are an example of recessive white chicks that hatch with colored down: https://www.thechickhatchery.com/product/white-jersey-giant/

Blues can be lighter or darker, so maybe you just have a bunch of different shades of blue?

It will probably be more clear as they grow some feathers, so maybe within a few weeks the answer will be obvious.

If they grow up to have completely white feathers, then recessive white is the explanation. That seems unlikely, because it would not appear in the chicks unless both parents carried the gene (and that seems VERY unlikely, given what you said of their breeds.) If both parents do carry recessive white, I would expect about 1/4 of chicks to show it. They would grow up to have completely white feathers, but could hatch with grayish chick down. White Jersey Giants are an example of recessive white chicks that hatch with colored down: https://www.thechickhatchery.com/product/white-jersey-g

Interesting… I guess I’ll just have to wait and see. I would be shocked to have a recessive white gene in both parents, but I thought the yellowy look of a lot of these would be hard-pressed to turn into a shade of blue. I guess I will find out soon enough…

Interesting… I guess I’ll just have to wait and see. I would be shocked to have a recessive white gene in both parents, but I thought the yellowy look of a lot of these would be hard-pressed to turn into a shade of blue. I guess I will find out soon enough…

I would also be shocked if both parents had a recessive white gene. I mentioned it mostly for the sake of being thorough :)

Back
Top Bottom