Chicken feather color genetics question

Wanted to point out that BBS can be applied to all color patterns as can lavender. If you have BBS genes in the flock the only ones wont pass on the blue on will be the black ones you get from them. I don't think that was clarified earlier.

Red is also not always leakage. It just depends on if you want that color or not. Red/Blue(BBS) is a very striking combination.

I'm hoping to work on BBS Silver Duckwing, but its going to be a long road because of the traits I want and the number of breeds I'm using. I also want to do BBS Gold/Golden Duckwings. There's just to much I want to do but BBS is one of my fav colors along with lavender so I want to bring it to as many patterns as I can in my flocks.
Thanks for clarifying! Yea I think the Red/Blue combo is very striking too with its contrast. We named the rooster & hen with that color combo Fire & Ice. Now that the rooster's shiny red saddle feathers are getting longer it almost looks like flames.

BBS Silver & Gold duckwings would be very pretty as well! Goodluck with your project!

With WTB you may have unknown recessive genes show up in offspring, they’re basically a guaranteed blue laying EE, so you will most likely get a variety of colors no matter which rooster you keep. I do agree with post about getting an actual Ameraucana rooster if you want to maintain muffs & beards. There are people who try to pass off EEs as Ameraucanas but also there are EEs with other names like the WTB, I’ve seen them as Americanas, Americanos etc if you research the SOP for Ameraucanas you can see what to look for to better determine if it’s an actual Ameraucana. The main thing is to pay attention to the spelling used.

Back
Top Bottom