Black copper marans egg laying question?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chulke, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Chulke

Chulke Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Does anyone know what the average timeframe is for a bcm to start laying? Is it about the same as other breeds? The 4 bcms I have are all about 22 weeks old, but no eggs yet. My only laying hen started last week around 21 weeks of age and my marans are bigger than her. Just wondering, thanks.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have 2 BCM's. One started at 20 weeks and the other at 22 weeks. So you should be getting eggs any time now.

3. AyeUpChuck

AyeUpChuck Striving for Self-Sufficiency

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    Someone asked about this on the BCM thread the other day and depending on your weather conditions it's pretty much up to them. Some people were reporting up to 30+ wks before they got an egg.

4. Chulke

Jun 7, 2011
    Thanks for the info...that's what I figured...it's all up to them...I think I'm just being impatient with a little wishful thinking. I just want one of those nice dark brown eggs...lol!

5. AyeUpChuck

AyeUpChuck Striving for Self-Sufficiency

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    yeah the weather's been kind of kooky here in the PNW it's definitely having an affect on my girls. You'd think it's April and not June by the way the weather's been!

6. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i have one and she just started laying last week and she was about 21 weeks then. her wattles and comb turned bright red a couple weeks before she started laying.

7. ellie97

ellie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Quote:It's been the opposite here! May felt like August!

8. Chulke

Jun 7, 2011
    Same here in arkansas....it's been in the mid 90's for like 3 weeks now with no signs of cooling! Ugh!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by