Black Copper Marans feet

valleyhoneybee

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2015
New Hampshire

This is one of my 22 day old incubator hatched black copper Marans chicks. It is the only 1 of 10 with feathers as large as its feet (outside toe) and a feather on the outside of its "knee". Does anyone have photos of breed standard "foot feathers" for 3 week old Black Copper Marans chicks they can post ? I have read the standard but need a visual for "overly feathered". Thank you!

This is one of my 22 day old incubator hatched black copper Marans chicks. It is the only 1 of 10 with feathers as large as its feet (outside toe) and a feather on the outside of its "knee". Does anyone have photos of breed standard "foot feathers" for 3 week old Black Copper Marans chicks they can post ? I have read the standard but need a visual for "overly feathered". Thank you!

Too early to decide. I would not be too worried at this point. Chicks and juvies sometimes have fast growing feather genes in wings, shanks, etc. Most will grow into those faster growing areas without issue. When they are all feathered in (around the 6 month mark) is when you want to determine if something is actually out of whack.

In the SOP for BCM, you want the feathering to be well feathered down the outside toe to the end. Ideally, you don't want middle toe feathers (or "stubs") BUT, however, overly toe feathered birds can help birds with little foot feathering when say you have a hen with poor feathering.

Here's a male about 1 month old

He has about the correct amount of shank and feet feathers for his age. Notice the straight, unbroken lines pointing down the toe. Only the toe tip is unfeathered.

This pullet below (same age) has a few middle toe stubs that I mentioned, but, still would be kept for breeding with a rooster with little feathering for balance. Notice the "street sweeper" long feathers at ends? That pullet grew into her feathers. (Her toe was not crooked- just the way she was standing.) It is better to have a bit too much feathering than too few.

OneChickTwo, thank you agin for your time and the sharing of your knowledge! Since my original post the one chick I used in my photos has grown and no longer has to "flop his feet" in order to not trip on his foot feathers (only on the 3rd toes)! They were bigger than his feet! Lol! They are still large, but he does seem to be growing into them! I will have to take a closer look at how the feathers form down the legs! Thank you again!

Melissa

Back
Top Bottom