Black Copper Marans? HElp Please

mags2009

Songster
13 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Wisconsin
I was told to post here, after asking on the gender/breed forum. I had 6 shipped black copper marans eggs, and 4 hatched. Two are most definately BCM's. These two, I'm not so sure. Some people have said "mossy", some said, they absolutely are not BCM's at all! Can anyone help identify this breed? Thank you.
38676_garden_and_chicks_048.jpg
38676_garden_and_chicks_046.jpg
38676_garden_and_chicks_045.jpg

I would guess not unless they're SUPER mossy. They look a lot like Partridge colored chicks feather out. If they came from nice dark eggs, any chance they're Welsummers?

They may be a less common Marans color, but I really don't think BCM.

I don't think they are Welsummers, as I did order 6 Welsummers as well, and she sent me eight, only one hatched. Here is a photo, hope it is a pullet! So anyway, don't think they are Wellies. The eggs they came from were VERY dark. When they were first born, they weren't like the other two, which were black/yellow, black/white, like normal BCM/s Here is Welsummer from this hatch:
38676_garden_and_chicks_065.jpg
38676_garden_and_chicks_067.jpg

The presence of juvenile autosomal barring indicated the presence of both the Brown eb gene & the Pattern gene Pg. Neither of these genes are found in any variety of Marans.
Something at sometime has been crossed in.
David

Back
Top Bottom