Black Copper Marans

tree13ag

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 4, 2008
I bought 3 BCMs that parents came from Bev Davis (per seller) 2 have feathered legs, 1 doesn't. I have 2 questions about these pullets.

#1 I'm unsure about this bump on their beaks (the 2 with leg feathers have it, the 1 with smooth legs doesn't). All the pics I've seen on the internet shows no bump. Anybody know what this is & why 2 of the girls have it?

#2 One of the girls doesn't have the right coloring (seller says it was a fluke). Could it possibly be a wheaton instead?

junechicken038.jpg

joli & belle
junechicken037.jpg

joli's leg
junechicken036.jpg

belle's leg

Thanks! Your input is greatly appreciated.

I have an Ameraucana with that "bump"...I'm subscribing to this one... I'd love to know what it is also.

You got the birds from a seller who had the breeding stock from Bev? Has the breeder mixed the birds with birs from other people?
I've never see those bumps on the beaks of Marans.
The wheaten is a wheaten with mahogany. This happens when wheaten lines have been mixed with copper blacks. The copper blacks have mahogany & proper wheaten does not. This bird has happened to inherit the mahogany. There may well be 'copper blacks' emerging which won't have inherited mahogany & will be too light in the hackle, thus they won't be proper copper blacks.

Quote:
so the lighter colored one would be called a "wheaten with mahogany"?

Quote:
so do you think this is the case with my 2 bcms, they aren't actually bcms? do they look to light in the hackle?

thanks for the help

It all sounds odd to me. I know Bev; she's very dedicated to breeding good Marans, has been for years.
You might ask Bev whether she's ever experienced the lump on the beak with her birds.
I don't think Bev would have mixed wheatens with her copper blacks unless she could see something to be gained. Bev does know about genetics & I'd have thought that if she had used wheatens in her copper blacks, she'd have made sure they were properly sorted out before selling from them.

so the lighter colored one would be called a "wheaten with mahogany"?

It isn't a recognised colour or anything. It is a wheaten bird which has inherited a Mahogany gene which it ought not to have.

so do you think this is the case with my 2 bcms, they aren't actually bcms? do they look to light in the hackle?

I don't know. I can only see part of one copper black. It does look unusual.

I have not seen any of Bev's birds for a while but she's been working for a long time for many years on her birds & was getting nice results. I cannot imagine she would be selling incorrect birds now.​

I'm new to all this, but the inconsistencies in the birds got me thinking. I'm sure they'll be great pets, but I'm following up with an email to Bev. If for nothing else, to make her aware that someone is misrepresenting her breeding line.

so......I have 1 wheaton & 2 black copper marans (pet quality) yes?

I've had Bev Davis BCM and Wheatons and they don't look like your chickens - at all. Bev's birds have more leg feathering. And the wheatons are much darker at that age. Maybe the line was mixed by seller with something else? HOpe the eggs are dark.

Back
Top Bottom