black emu eggs????

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by willkatdawson, Jul 23, 2010.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Lately I've seen two cooking shows with emu eggs. In both shows the eggs shells were black. I have several ostrich and emu hollow eggs in a basket here at home and theya re all cream colored. Do the come in both cream and black? I guess I always thought there was only one variety of emu. I know different breeds of chickens can lay different tinted eggs but black and white is a vast difference in color.

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    I think emus only lay dark green eggs. I've never heard of white emu eggs before. [​IMG]

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I would bet the black eggs were a result of the wierd stage lighting they do on live shows like that. Otherwise, I am lost.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Sometimes Emu eggs are so dark green, they almost look black. As far as the cream colored eggs, they have to be Ostrich.

5. Dingo

Dingo Songster

Emu eggs can be quite dark. your creamy egg, if smaller than an ostrich egg, is probly from a rhea.

6. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  7. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    That solves the mystery! They must be from a Rhea. The egg in the middle is an ostrich egg.

[​IMG]

8. solanemufarms

solanemufarms Hatching

Feb 12, 2012
    black emu eggs
    well emu only lays eggs of these kinds
    smaller birds say between the age of 18 months plus lay normal green colour small eggs
    later as they grow they start laying darker, bigger and with black spots, somewhat embossed dark black spots
    sometimes the black spots are so dense that it seems like black egg
    we breed and trade emu in INdia and we come across many emu eggs of all shapes and sizes
    so the one that you saw must be a mature bird's egg that must have got dark black spots that really looks like black

regards
    ashish
    creative director
    solan emu farms
    India

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: