Black English Orpington

It is true that some English Orpingtons will have some feather stubs on their shanks. It is believed this is due to the Cochin influence when they were developed. That being said, none of my birds have ever exhibited this trait, and I would not breed them if they did.

I recently read about a woman who purchased some birds from a breeder and bred the male across three different bloodlines of females. This resulted in all of the chicks displaying leg feathering to some degree. Things like that are why breeders line breed and maintain closed flocks because a bloodline that previously showed no faults can when bred with another.

I've never seen this on my English Orps, but sometimes chickens will have faulty leg feathering. I *believe* I had a Bantam Barred Rock or heritage RC RIR with a few stray leg feathers. It's been a while so I don't remember the exact breed, but it does happen

Finally picked up the trio. What do you think (if you can tell from the pictures)? Black English orpingtons or Back cochins? Full thick feathers with green metallic shine and have full feathered feet.

Attachments

• received_2609857445980002.jpeg
    received_2609857445980002.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 15
  • received_263849208436669.jpeg
    received_263849208436669.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 15
Finally picked up the trio. What do you think (if you can tell from the pictures)? Black English orpingtons or Back cochins? Full thick feathers with green metallic shine and have full feathered feet.

yellow feet would be cochins, if they have black feet/legs they might be langshans? It's hard to tell without seeing the legs

The rooster and hens, without weighing, are easily 8 lbs each and only 7 months old. How would someone go about officially confirming a breed? Might sound stupid, but is there a DNA type test that could be given? I know there are such things for dogs.

Back
Top Bottom