Black hard lesions all over pullet’s head

Ok so here are the respiratory conditions you have observed:
5 month old Gold Laced Polish pullet that has a cough, has shook her head and slung snot

She was walking around with her mouth open

We noticed her sneezing and coughing

It is possible to have both forms of Pox at the same time (wet and dry). The lesions are Dry Pox, but the respiratory symptoms could be Wet Pox.
I know you have looked down her beak already, when you say "light coloured membranes" I'm not sure what that means. Would it be possible for you to take a photo and post it please??

I have no idea reference you being able to get antibiotics mail order but I'm sure others will be able to advise on that. Great knowledgeable bunch here!!

Thanks again Cragg. I will try to catch her tomorrow and get some photos inside her beak.

I’ll probably have to make a new post to see if anyone can help me find antibiotics.

Also, if there’s a thread somewhere with “good tips for new BYC owners”, I suggest newbies find a source for useful medicines for your flock and maybe keeping some essentials on hand if they aren’t readily available.

Thanks again Cragg. I will try to catch her tomorrow and get some photos inside her beak.

I’ll probably have to make a new post to see if anyone can help me find antibiotics.

Also, if there’s a thread somewhere with “good tips for new BYC owners”, I suggest newbies find a source for useful medicines for your flock and maybe keeping some essentials on hand if they aren’t readily available.

You're welcome.

There is an existing thread on First Aid Kit essentials but I don't believe it includes medications. I do believe it was talked about - creating one for meds, I haven't seen it yet though.

It might be a good idea to make a new post for your currant situation requiring antibiotics actually, as others in your situation will find that if they are searching in the future. Keep that in mind when creating your title so it will come up easily in searches :thumbsup

Hopefully you can get those photos tomorrow!

Thank you for your patience, not everyone is online all the time.
Sometimes depending on where you live antibiotics may be hard to find so you can usually order those online.

First you do need to have some idea what is wrong. It does look like your chick has Fowl Pox which is a virus (doesn't respond to antibiotics). IF the respiratory symptoms are from respiratory disease like Mycoplasma or Infectious Corzya (both bacterial) then antibiotics can help. @Eggcessive gave you medication suggestions in POST#6 of this thread. Most of those can be ordered online or you can get them from a vet.

IF the respiratory symptoms are from Infectious Bronchitis, ILT or complicated Wet Form of Fowl Pox - all these are viral, but antibiotics can help with secondary infections.

Hope that helps.

Perhaps @TropicalBabies can advise you about getting antibiotics where you are?
Aloha Cragg K.,
K2panman is on another island but I can suggest they hunt down a store that supplies the cockfighters. I have called vets and ag. ext. over here and got nothing but mad. Cockfighters have the good backdoor stuff and knowledge that can save a beloved chickens life. I do not embrace the culture of cockfighting, I do respect their long time experience and grassroot knowledge of chickens in the tropics. Best of luck to you K2panman!!!

You might also check with locals who raise cattle, sheep, or goats who may also be able to steer you where to find antibiotics locally. A trusted farm vet might be helpful too. Some antibiotics may be purchased for fish and pigeons online without a prescription. Only Tylan injectable, which can be given orally, and injectable oxytetracyline are available in feed stores, and online. Some online stores are Allivet, JeffersPet, ValleyVet, TractorSupply, Jedds, and others sell some antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom