Black Jersey Giant Pullet or Cockrel?

I would say you have 2 roos and 1 pullet.

My two Jersey Giants are different in color, one is all black and one has white specs on it's chest. Is this normal? My guess is it is a hatchery mistake and that they are breeding from a bad heritage line, but could this mean it is a rooster or a different breed all together?

In the picture, the Silkie chicks are about 7 weeks old and the others are 9 weeks old. There are two white Silkie bantams, a red Sex Link, and two black Jersey Giants. The one black chick with his chest not facing the camera does not have a spec of white on it, but look at the other JG, she looks like a different breed?!? Any ideas?

the males take longer to grow their combs.. he has skinnier tail feathers so he is a rooster. But the Giants have yellow bottoms on their feet, thats the only way to really tell if they are true giants. Mine also has white tips on his wings and a paler face. :)

Do Jersey Giant cockrels grow slower than pullets? I have 4 Jersey Giants 9 weeks old and my smallest looks more like the picture of the cockrel posted in April of last year on this tread (but with a smaller comb) . My other 4 look like the pullet.

Last edited:
Mine all kind of grew at different intervals. They all (3) got their feathers in differently, combs/waddles in at different times. The one I thought should have been a rooster ended up being a hen.. and vice versa with another. I did hear that before (also that roosters get the combs in later.. which I KNOW is not true!), I just not sure how true it is. Mine are 3 months now and except for the one hens comb they are all the same size and catching up developmentally. Every chicken is different. :)

Back
Top Bottom