Black Jersey Giant thread!!!!!

Pics
I was going to get some leghorns this year but changed my mind. I get so many eggs from my BJG's I got all I can do to get rid of them! Pretty sure almost all of mine were laying by 4-7 months. They are big birds but I've trained them to stay in my yard, and when I let them out there they hardly go through any feed at all. Great foragers and they eat every bit of scraps we make.

We wanted to get some this year but weren't sure how much bigger than our other chickens they'd be. We have barred and buff rocks, leghorns, etc. also we didn't know if they'd pick on the others when they got older and were bigger. Does anyone else have them around other breeds?

I have a question. It seems that alot of the JG's going around are not of the same stature as when the breed developed. I'm wondering what would happen if you introduced some Malay blood into the strain? Selecting for height and weight.

It would still look like a malay but have minor jersey features. Waddle, flatter back. The oriental game genes are very prominent. You'd be best to use a 75% jersey/25% malay to cross with another jersey. Even an 8th malay would be obvious.

You'd end up so far from a jersey that it wouldn't make much sence if your goal is to improve the jersey structure. Your best bet is to start with good jersey bloodlines. They're out there, and the size they should be but they're very expensive. ($300 + for a show bird)

Last edited:
That would be a cool cross JRnash.

One of the parent breeds to make the cornish was the Malay.

Here is a picture of a 5 month old cockerel who's a jersey/japanese oriental cross (50/50). He's absolutley huge for his age but he doesn't resemble the jersey at all :). IMO, crossing any heritage breed with an oriental would be cool.

Jersey x Brahma would make a huge and delicious bad *** bird

Back
Top Bottom