Black Jersey Giant thread!!!!!

Pics
exactly, we made the same mistake when we started with chickens! But to each his own, a lot of folks don't like eating chicken after a specific age. I like the flavor they have at an older age and the texture I like better, just my opinion!
Glad to see some more people here on the thread! Welcome AmyAndKids and Anna6!
smile.png

Hi! I have 3 Black Jersey Giant pullets that are 9 months old, at least one of which is laying. The girl that is for sure laying is Queenie, not very friendly, but a nice big bird. In the past few months I noticed her tail kind of getting almost curly. So tell me, what is this from?

I have 4 Black Giant hens covered by a Blue Giant rooster. I get anywhere from 1 to 3 eggs a day from them. They are just a bit over 8 months old. Big heavy chickens.

Last edited:
I have two I got last spring at our feed store. I ended up with a roo and a hen. I love my hen, she doesn't mind being petted, and is very friendly. My roo is aggressive and will flog people. I don't want to eat him myself because I'm not sure if I could, I've never eaten my own chickens before. We might end up giving him to a friend of ours who eats his chickens.

New to thread but I love my JG he's a big boy at 5 months he is just starting to do his thing with my JG hens so looking forward to throw a load in the incubator soon. They are definitely gentle giants. Very tall and getting thick even the hens are thick.

I have a question...
I've got a black jersey giant x cockerel who has just started mating with my hens.
The cockerel and and one of the hens he mates with are both the same age, 18 weeks, but he also mating with 2 goldlines who are 10 months old.
(I also have 2 more hens but they haven't quite reached sexual maturity yet i.e they don't let him mount them!)

My question is, when is the best time to take some eggs for incubation? And will the fertility rate be low now, should I wait?
In terms of his 'aim', he is very agile and not too rough with them, he's got his little dance down too...

Any answers would be much appreciate! I'm interested to see how a goldline x jersey giant turns out :)

I have a question...
I've got a black jersey giant x cockerel who has just started mating with my hens.
The cockerel and and one of the hens he mates with are both the same age, 18 weeks, but he also mating with 2 goldlines who are 10 months old.
(I also have 2 more hens but they haven't quite reached sexual maturity yet i.e they don't let him mount them!)

My question is, when is the best time to take some eggs for incubation? And will the fertility rate be low now, should I wait?
In terms of his 'aim', he is very agile and not too rough with them, he's got his little dance down too...

Any answers would be much appreciate! I'm interested to see how a goldline x jersey giant turns out :)

I have successfully hatched out my birds first eggs! A lot of folks will advise you to wait until your hens are over a year old, but I hatch out a lot of eggs that come from my pullets that just start laying! Just keep in mind you may have some that do not hatch or quit early, keep us posted on your decision! Good luck!

I have successfully hatched out my birds first eggs! A lot of folks will advise you to wait until your hens are over a year old, but I hatch out a lot of eggs that come from my pullets that just start laying! Just keep in mind you may have some that do not hatch or quit early, keep us posted on your decision! Good luck!

awesome many thanks, great reply!...mainly because it's what I wanted to hear, ha!
Two of the hens he seems to 'love' are 10-11 months old (the lady wasn't totally sure) so that's good enough for me.

will do :)

Wow looks like I've got some catching up to do! Glad to see new folks jumping in.
Went out to feed and water this morning and found our first egg. It was on the ground and frozen so I got rid of it but hey I'm happy with it haha.

Back
Top Bottom