Black Jersey Giant thread!!!!!

Pics
That's a nice looking roo plyhrdbll3.
I'm glad mine isn't mean, the son of a gun could just about palm a basketball with those big meat hooks ! Got another egg today laid on the floor and frozen again so I'm guessing should didn't like my nest bucket idea. So I built 3 nest boxes up off the ground with good fresh bedding. I put the frozen egg and a plastic lemon in a couple of them in hopes they get the hint.
Amyandkids are you getting excited yet? Won't be long now for your new batch right?

I have two I got last spring at our feed store. I ended up with a roo and a hen. I love my hen, she doesn't mind being petted, and is very friendly. My roo is aggressive and will flog people. I don't want to eat him myself because I'm not sure if I could, I've never eaten my own chickens before. We might end up giving him to a friend of ours who eats his chickens.

Yeh my friend's roo is quite aggressive, and I have one of his offspring (the roo not my friend) and when he was 4 months old he started getting a bit hostile towards me when I went to feed them, so I just slapped him around the back of the head and stared at him when I did it, now he's fine, and just a bit nervous of me, ha.
I hear they are 'gentle giants' but I think all cockerels can be 'funny' it's their nature, they're supposed to be.
You could get your friend to kill him and you eat him together? You can trust what he ate and where he came from, and they taste soo much better than shop bought rubbish, really chickeny and nutty and the crispy skin is to die for.

I feel honored to eat my cockerels, I had to kill one a month or so ago.
I carefully pluck it and season it. You treat the body with the up most respect, than something wrapped in plastic, it's a special occasion and you cherish it.
If you give it to your friend and the go out and buy a chicken for dinner the next day, it doesn't make much sense to me...the quality of the meat would be so much more and you can rest assure it was killed quickly and in a stress-free familiar environment, unlike what most chickens in industry will experience.

If you do give it to your friend, ask them to save you some....and me!)
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Well I actually traded him, but I might ask him to save me some. Jersey Giants get so big, and I didn't want to risk him hurting me or anyone else. I do plan on eating my own chickens in the future, but just not that one. I got too attached to eat him.

Well I actually traded him, but I might ask him to save me some. Jersey Giants get so big, and I didn't want to risk him hurting me or anyone else. I do plan on eating my own chickens in the future, but just not that one. I got too attached to eat him.

yeh I've got attached to Digby, my big cockerel's little brother (they're the same age but Digby's definitely second in command)
He's not aggressive at all, and bless him, isn't great at romancing the girls...he sort've stumbles onto them and then just as he's getting the hang of it, gets shoved off by his big brother and then he takes over...
I've been trying to sell him for weeks now and I don't want to kill him. If I give him away I know he'll be taken by some one to eat because he's young (only 19 weeks) but massive.
Had a couple replies but just time wasters who sound interested and then just stop replying when I respond back, so irritating!!

Penguin, his older brother is a bit more feisty, and I hate to admit it, is A LOT more beautiful...

I'm stuck with 2 randy cockerels and not enough hens to go around, as some haven't sexually matured yet.

Yes, I'm getting excited but stressed at the same time, see my neighbors cat has been prowling around all night long! I'm scared for the babies cause this cat tries to kill my grown chickens!

Oh boy. Well as long as you can keep them safe for a couple months that cat won't dare mess with them. I think my neighbors cat is afraid of being eaten by my birds haha. They might swallow it whole. Gotten 3 eggs so far but none in the nest boxes. They go in and scratch for food and then go on the roost and drop the eggs on the poop pile. Bird brains.

Well this cat isn't afraid of my golden retriever when he comes charging at it! But yes the babies will be grown in my house till they are 8 weeks I think, depending how fast they grow,hahahaha! Its funny about your bird laying eggs off the roost cause one of my olive eggers is now dropping them off the roost too, cracks it good every time! How big are your nest boxes for the giants? I use milk crates for nest boxes now, but doubt they will be able to use them!

Back
Top Bottom