Black Jersey Giant thread!!!!!

I have 16 right now. 1 is a rooster. Thinking about letting them try to hatch out some more this spring.
That would be awesome. So what is your opinion about the breed? Are they nice? Also, what do you think of the fact that they mature very slowly?

I personally love them. I grow clover, alfalfa, oats, and a few other grasses in the run for them and they hunt n peck very well. They are quite relaxed birds. Just got complimented twice today about them. Haven't seen any aggression yet. They are alert but not flighty. Overall friendly birds.
As far as maturing later... I'm in no hurry. If I get in a hurry I can always order a bunch of cornish cross or freedom rangers. But I kind of like the thought of keeping this breed around. I have never eaten one of these so I don't know if it's worth the wait or not but I'll probably keep some around as pets even if I don't care for the meat.

I personally love them. I grow clover, alfalfa, oats, and a few other grasses in the run for them and they hunt n peck very well. They are quite relaxed birds. Just got complimented twice today about them. Haven't seen any aggression yet. They are alert but not flighty. Overall friendly birds.
As far as maturing later... I'm in no hurry. If I get in a hurry I can always order a bunch of cornish cross or freedom rangers. But I kind of like the thought of keeping this breed around. I have never eaten one of these so I don't know if it's worth the wait or not but I'll probably keep some around as pets even if I don't care for the meat.
Very good info. I was thinking you kept them as egg layers (my bad, i had just assumed), but I'm sure they'll be very tasty!
big_smile.png
Thanks for the info! God Bless!

I am too ! Could it be that there are that few people interested in them? Maybe it's a sign that I should get more ! Haha. I'm sure over time they will join. I've seen posts on here that took place over years.

I am too ! Could it be that there are that few people interested in them? Maybe it's a sign that I should get more ! Haha. I'm sure over time they will join. I've seen posts on here that took place over years.
Yeah, they must not be very popular.
hmm.png
Hopefully people will join over time. Happy New Year!
smile.png

I have 2 Black Jersey Giant hybrids.
Jersey Giant, father x Marsh Daisy, mother (a very rare breed)
I have one cockerel and one hen and they are 14 weeks old, he started crowing on new year's eve!
Which is weird because we literally turned on the machine to incubate their father on new year's eve last year.

Can anyone tell me the following;

How long after he starts crowing will he try to mate?
Will the eggs be fertilized/good for incubation straight away or will the success rate be very low?

I know that all these answers will vary because it also depends on the marsh daisy breed, but just for an idea...

I have 4 other hens from different breeds, and they all grew up together, now pecking about on the lawn :)

Here is a photo of him from 5 days ago.
Many thanks.

Last edited:
I love his colors! Mine started crowing 2-3 weeks ago I think it was. He chased the girls around but isn't quite sure what to do with them yet. Wish I could be of more help but this is my first batch of jg's.

Back
Top Bottom