Black Jersey Giant thread!!!!!

Pics

My giant rooster not even a year old yet very green. I think he's better looking than his best buddy the welsummer roo.

I am getting two Black Jersey pullets that are about 10 weeks old. What should I expect with this breed? I've read that they are slow to mature, so how old will they be when they start laying? They will be mixed in with three 10 week old Golden Campines, two 10 week old Blue Laced Wyandottes, four 6 month old Barred Rocks and my 6 month old Lavender Orpington roo. Any suggestions on how I should integrate them into the flock?

Jersey giant roo(black) made this w my barred rocks, today is day 21 and I've got three of these hatched so far. Curious to see once they all hatch if the males will be barred. Sexlink?

I am thinking of ordering me 25 Black Jersey Giants but i am concerned about how much they will eat & if they are good laying breed can you folks help me out before i go to order them my 2nd choice are the Black Australorps I really like the Black Jersey . I know that they aren't top laying hens but i just like them what do you folks think .

Last edited:
I am thinking of ordering me 25 Black Jersey Giants but i am concerned about how much they will eat & if they are good laying breed can you folks help me out before i go to order them my 2nd choice are the Black Australorps I really like the Black Jersey . I know that they aren't top laying hens but i just like them what do you folks think .

I don't have any yet, but it seems to me that it takes a long time for them to mature and begin laying. I've been trying to read up on them and this is what I seem to be noticing the most on peoples comments.

I am getting ready to place a order for 25 BJG & 3 BJG roosters I have been hearing that they eat ALOT how much more will thet eat than a Black Australorp would I am placing my order on Friday can anyone help me out please

I ordered my first chicks ever from mcmurray it will be 9 jersey Giants (one rooster) and 6 barred rock hens. We are looking forward to getting the Giants in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom