Black Jersey Giant thread!!!!!

Pics
I have just recently started keeping chickens and have chosen Jersey Giant as my breed of choice.

I have one batch of 6 Blacks and 5 Whites. My second batch is 3 Splashes, two Blues, and 3 Blacks.

I bought the 8 chicks of the second batch from Taylor Hobby Farms, which is a private breeder. All three blacks have a purple sheen instead of green. The six Black Giants from the first batch all have the green sheen.

I was wondering if it was a good idea to just cull the purple or could I breed them with the Blue or the splash?

My goal is to breed the Whites for size (meat and eggs) and maybe breed the Blue to the SOP.

I know the purple is a flaw in Blacks and will not breed it to my first batch.

Any ideas?

Kind of dead here as of late I see.. lol. Well I'm new to byc but I have a big black herd of giants roaming the farm. The only breed I house. I'm looking for the biggest and baddest of them.. I never have much luck around me in locating other giants. Maybe this is good spot?!

Kind of dead here as of late I see.. lol. Well I'm new to byc but I have a big black herd of giants roaming the farm. The only breed I house. I'm looking for the biggest and baddest of them.. I never have much luck around me in locating other giants. Maybe this is good spot?!

We thought about getting some Giants. How much bigger than a barred rock do you think they are? I can order them through our feed store but I worry about them being big and mean.

Hey jaide. I'd have to say on average from what I've seen they are a third again the size. I've seen few that would double rocks easily and some not much bigger at all. Seems alot of what I've seen is line bred birds that have lost size over a few gens. They are called giants, thus should be one. Commercial hatcheries all carry the giants. I have been told Cackle has a pretty large bird for a hatchery. I don't know that for a fact tho. Any private breeder rears much bigger chicks in general than a hatchery. And as for being mean.. I haven't found any to be very aggressive at all. I have heard reports but they are generally a very docile bird. The roosters amongst themselves put on some shows every once in a while but nothing other than that.

I've had my hens for a year now, the Roo I picked up from another state, frostbite wrecked his comb before I got him. The Giants have been wonderful, girls are laying eggs almost everyday now and the big guy isn't aggressive. I'm located in Fremont IN and would like to see if anyone else around is raising Giants. If so we need to get in contact because their isn't many.... aaaaahhhhhhh.

I've had my hens for a year now, the Roo I picked up from another state, frostbite wrecked his comb before I got him. The Giants have been wonderful, girls are laying eggs almost everyday now and the big guy isn't aggressive. I'm located in Fremont IN and would like to see if anyone else around is raising Giants. If so we need to get in contact because their isn't many.... aaaaahhhhhhh.
Are looking to get some more or sell some thanks I would like to have some eggs from them if would consider selling me a few fertile eggs thanks

Back
Top Bottom